Virgin Media providing 1.5Gb/s to home users in UK

• Thread starter Thread starter wikedmonk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 4,318
Have Some Patience man. There are few Isp's On paper which are going to Soon provide you such speeds. btw for us 100mbit/s is more than enough i guess!

Once 10GPON hits the market, Hayai will be able to provide us with 10 Gbps at home. So relax.And also, Virgin Media seems to have crap upload speeds as compared to download, so even Hayai's 100 Mbit plan's upload speed will be better than the highest they'll provide.

To be perfectly honest, there's no point in going above 1Gbit/s until people's equipment can keep up. In the photo in the press release they've got 3 laptops which could mean 500mbit/s each (if it was split evenly, of course) - and if you look at the speedtest result, they "only" got 339.66mbit/s download speed (the upload had only just started - I hope it got to higher than 1.64mbit/s!!)

We already can provide 10gbit/s using a special type of Ethernet rather than PON, but because of the infrastructure involved we're only doing it for schools/universities, large enterprises and MNCs. Motorola wants us to try their "fiber to the desk" products for this purpose.

1.5 Gb/s ?What are you going to do with that much SPEED ?I know ! Blast a satellite to the moon ! lol 😛