Virgin Gsm

• Thread starter Thread starter max90
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 29,486
Status
Not open for further replies.
good news any source

Few days back there was some rumors about Virgin Mobiles entry into GSM market. It all started with an Interview to a leading daily by CEO M A Madhusudan quoting Virgin Mobile entry into GSM will help Virgin Mobile expand its addressable market and also increase its average revenue per user (ARPU).
In a latest twist CEO M A Madhusudan cited, the report is completely baseless and imaginative.I have been misinterpreted in the report. I can’t comment on anything which is related to speculative reports of Virgin’s GSM plans.’
According to Industry analyst Probir Purokayosto the first and foremost thing a Telco has to do to get into GSM market is to obtain a GSM license. Once it obtains a license, it needs to apply for the bandwidth. The regulations do not always allow a joint venture of a license holder to diversify from one platform to other without meeting the formalities.However Tata Tele Service has declined not to comment on the confusion revolving its joint venture partner.😡:thumb::madness:

they are going to be a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, they will just be using tata's existing network i.e they will not be setting up their own towers throughout the country..do they still need to apply for bandwidth? i think they just need a MVNO license

yeah i think they still need to take some kind of permission to operate as a gsm service provider even if they go through the mvno route. it was virgin which led to the government setting up regulations on the mvno way of providing services. 🙂

cool. hope they come soon with good plans alongwith number portability(being implemented since ages). network coverage could be an issue.if im not wrong, tata gsm is hardly active in a few places?

arrgh.number portability is not being implemented. it is expected to be implemented sometime this year.tata gsm is not launched yet.

two problems.it is only going to be available in major cities. and with a new government at the center, it could very well be delayed again.

Who told you people that Virgin is operating as MVNO??They are just the franchisee of Tata Teleservices. And being a franchisee doesnt need any permission from govt! MVNO services are not allowed in India. Anyways, 99% Virgin will partner Tata in GSM also.

hmm true...

Virgin Mobile India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virgin Mobile India Limited is a cellular telephone service provider company which is a joint venture between Tata Teleservices and Richard Branson's Virgin Group.

In May 2007, the Tata Group and the Virgin Group finalized plans to form a corporate vehicle through which the latter's mobile service could be launched in India. Since Mobile Virtual Network Operators are not permitted to operate in India due to the current regulations prevailing there, a 50:50 joint venture model was adopted.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

“Virgin Mobile” brand is India’s ‘first’ national youth-focused mobile service. “Virgin Mobile” branded services are being offered to the Indian consumers by Tata Teleservices through a brand franchise with Virgin Mobile. Virgin Mobile India will provide Tata Teleservices with experience and expertise in designing, marketing and servicing of “Virgin Mobile” branded products for the youth segment.

About Virgin Mobile India - Virgin Mobile

yea. MVNO is illegal in India. well, legally and officially they're just a franchisee. but as all of us kno already, they are an MVNO. They're jus covering it up by sayin the "franchisee" crap. Anyways, Virgin wont launch GSM for 2 reasons; 1) TATA GSM is hardly active. Infact I doubt it even exists. TATA used to operate GSM services along with AT&T and Birla as Idea in 2002-2004. After that, AT&T sold stake and left, a move which they're repenting even now; and TATAs sold their stake too. So now, IDEA is solely Birla. 2) Virgin's operations all over the world are CDMA-only. So i highly doubt they'll start GSM services now. Besides, new entrants have to pay alot! So, i'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to invest so much. 😕

^^huh.Did you forget that Tata has also got GSM spectrum..?And yes Tata-Birla-at&t were in idea cellular..but thats a different story..Tata will soon launch their OWN GSM services and 99% Virgin will partner with them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.