Videocon D2H HD DVR User Experience and Review

• Thread starter Thread starter Abhishekk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 463
  • Views Views 143,712
Any details on pricing and channel availability?

^^^^
No updates still - just the same pricing thats doing rounds - 6490+500.......

But still, they havent been airing official ads on pricing yet!!

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Just as i am tryng to check their site......it is not opening - the site is just "Loadong" and nothing else - i think they must be updating it now.

Hope that the official price that they put up is lesser than what they said.

Coz at 7k - i dont think many will even think of it!!

I was waiting for the launch of D2H HD DVR to shift over, and their pricing threw me off... Man, why did I wait?...

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

No updates on their website as well....

That itself is the hint, that we shouldnt grope in the dark.......Let them announce it openly - Print media, as well as Digital - Official site, TV, and over here.

I checked with the local retailer and they have the D2H HD DVR in stock The price is 6499/- and has the capability to record upto 200 hrs. 7 channels available including NGC, Discovery, Movies Now, ESPN, Star plus....
The shop owner didnt had any broacher ready with him, as D2H are yet to provide one.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

HD package cost Rs 75/- month

I m curious about 1 thing - why arent these guys showing any ads yet?? No ads in TV, nor in Papers.......i am getting a bad feeling about it - may be they will show ads within a short time, AFTER THEY REDUCE THE PRICES.....I dont want to be in situation where i buy it at current prices & suddenly within 15-30 days, the prices are slashed!!

I hope they have this, or any other genuine reason......Coz i have already ordered 1 which will be installed by today/tomorrow.....Then I dont want to see their ad showing "Videocon D2h HD DVR for Rs. 3990 only!!" or somewhat like that!!

@ admin

I suggest we can change the title of this thread to somewhat like "Share your first hand experiences of HD DVR"......

I thought of starting a new thread, but there are so relating to this thing, that a new user will only get confused, as to where to find the relevant stuff!!

@ Thread

I am sharing my first hand experience of this product.......

I booked my connection through Online Team on Friday night & the installation was completed yesterday.

About time taken for installation, i was a bit disappointed.....coz the 2 guys came at 2:30 in the afternoon, & the final testing and all was completed by 6:45 PM or so.....the "Senior" of the 2 said that HD DVR installation normally takes 4-5 hours [:O].

I want to ask other users of D2h & also of other DTH providers, is this ture?? Frankly speaking i felt he took me for a ride.....anyways, it was done in the end.
The demo is pending, coz he said his senior had better idea so it is advisable to get it from that person - fine enough - should be today or so.

As regards channels......i also feel HD is worth spending the money. never seen such sharp content on Live TV!!

PACKAGE CONTENTS

1) 1 GOLD Plated HDMI cable.
2) Standard A/V Cable too is there if you dont have HDMI in TV.
3) 1 USB Cable - I think it is the 1 meant to be used as extension.....USB port is situated at the back, so may be to avoid those hassles, this cable can come in handy.
4) The STB of course - Manufactured by Altech UEC (Pty) Ltd, South Africa, Model 4611. (for those who want to Google it up)
5) The Remote Control & Adaptor for Power Supply.
6) User Guide
7) And yes, 1 month Platinum HD pack worth 440 is free.

All the functions are same as offered by other DTH providers - Play/Pause live TV, Rewind/Forward, Record/Schedule Recording of shows......
But 1 thing that i am really curious about is - There's a Purple button at the bottom of the remote.....the User Guide named it as "Motion Sensor button". But i havent gone thru it much due to lack of time......It will be known only when the person comes for demo.

HD Channels available -

1) NGC HD
2) Discovery HD
3) Movies Now HD
4) Travel XP HD
5) D2h Movies HD
6) D2h Music HD (Video Songs channel)

7) Test Channel - I saw Zee over here, but i think it may be due to glitch.....coz i couldnt make out much difference between normal Zee, and this channel. So, the mystery remains as to which is this channel - Zee TV HD or some other.
8) Test Feed - It showed me the standard message about "Not subscribed.......blah blah". Even this remains a mystery.

And deep within, i hope that 1 of them is Star Cricket HD......coz without that, their product wont be sold - atleast new buyers will think twice as we all know TS is offering it for Free, along with Active services!!

All in all - i would feel that the effective cost would fall to around 5.5k given the added benefits.
I am not making any judgments here - i dont know what others are offering, and what is their "Effective Cost".......

Will post things as & when anything comes to my mind. Or may be if anyone requires further info, can post their queries.

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Thanks for updating!!

Alright i would share 1 thing.....(these issues are solved now)After i posted here, i felt like trying out the recorder. I set a schedule & then went to sleep. When i woke up i saw -1) I got the message that there are "2 recordings" going on, i need to stop 1 of them, to change my channel (I had set only 1 schedule, still it showed 2)2) When i gave the nod to stop 1, it didnt even show me which 1 i can stop :O.....the dialog box was blank.....:O - Which 1 should i stop, to get the STB working properly??3) I couldnt Play/pause, rewind/forward......4) To add to the woes, the "Recorded programme" showed me the message that i didnt have the rights to record!! :O :O :O....I immediately restarted the STB & mailed the Online Team at around 1 PM.They must have directed an engineer, who called me up by 4:30......i started with the 3rd & 4th problems listed here. And he immediately must have understood - He didnt even listen to any other complaints & said "I will call u in 5 minutes".After 5 minutes, he called up & said - now all your issues should be settled. To my surprise, all was well, as if nothing had happened!! I called him again and asked him what was the issue.....he said "You were not having the rights to access DVR functions - it happens sometimes due to oversight".I ended up laughing at the whole scene!! I had gone ahead thinking so many negatives & it was this silly reason!!The only things now pending with me are - Remote's responsiveness is a bit "Funny", and minor signal related issues. He has promised me to send someone today. Hope that this also gets solved early!!Regarding worth of channels - i wise advice.....Travel XP HD is just awesome!! The others are worth too, but this 1 has caught my eye - coz 1) I am least interested in Zee HD - Mom likes to watch daily soaps on it.2) Movies NOW - I watch very few English Movies....somehow, i never feel inclination to watch too many English movies.3) D2h Movies - how many times do u watch a movie over & over again?? Quality is good, but u watch a movie once/twice....4) NGC & Discovery - look really good, but ultimately shows are very similar to the regular channels - so its kinda repeat for me.So, Travel XP is a true novelty here.......people who have less time to visit places (i am that unlucky 1), can actually have a tour thru this channel.....such true colours & sound - i listen to it in my 5.1 channel set!!By the way, i dont know if any other DTH is giving this channel or not.....

motion sensor!! ohh what is that feature about?