Videocon D2H HD DVR User Experience and Review

• Thread starter Thread starter Abhishekk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 463
  • Views Views 143,728
@jymn2005 - Hi, thanks for taking time and sharing your experience with others. Do you have any idea if the HDMI output carries Dolby sound or only Stereo? In case of only stereo, does it have optical/coax audio output for dolby sound?

Man, thats still a mystery. Actually i forgot that it was Monday yesterday & the field guys atleast in this area have an off on Monday!! I will be calling him up now to schedule my demo in the evening, coz i will sit to study in around next 45 mins or so.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

I have told him to send some expert in the evening......lets see if a good knowledged person comes!!

@rams217.....

How come u posted before mine?? I didnt get this mystery.....

But i have answers to ur queries.....
the HDMI carries Dolby 5.1 channel sound.....i didnt get the other part - whats that Optical/coax cable??

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

An update on demo: The guy called me up in the late evening & said that he was stuck up as there are many "New" connections everyday.......but has promised to address me today. Lets see how it goes about - being patient, coz i can gauge the pressure.....it was talked about since September & its come now!!
If it doesnt happen today, i again will need to mail the online team.......

@jymn2005 - Simple answer to the mystery! I am first time poster and my post was awaiting moderators approval before you could see it!Reliance Digital HD DVR doesn't provide the Dolby output via HDMI. It only sends Stereo signal. But it has Optical audio output thru which we can connect to home theatre system / receiver. The Home theatre system/receiver will then decode the dolby 5.1 audio and send output to 5.1 speakers. Generally no TV is equipped with Dolby decoder. So anybody tries to listen 5.1, will only use a reasonable home theatre system which can decode this. Tata Sky+ HD DVR gives out 7.1 output thru HDMI itself (learnt so from reading forums).Either the DVR manual has to mention this information clearly or we need to have a HDMI receiver which can show us what's the audio that the HDMI is carrying. If possible please cross verify this with the guy who visits for the demo.

Ok, the people came today morning itself.The update on that Mystery button - The person kept on re-iterating the fact that although the Book shows it as "Motion Sensor button", its still a "Show-piece" only button - having no use. He said that it was just to show the "D2h" logo in a different way, instead of just printing the name.....Still, on my insisting, 1 of them has noted it down & told that if it is used somewhere, he will let me know.Else, things going quite decently right now - only missing Star Cricket HD......which i wish, comes on the Test Feed, which i have listed above!!

@jymn2005 - :urock: Not sure when this post will show up. Pretty disappointing for any new user. Until when my post will continue to be moderated! :huh: That apart, now that my earlier post has showed up, do you have any updates on it? :frown:

@ rams....
Your 3rd post seems to have come on time.....actually the thing is, just recently we had a spammer doing rounds. SO, admin must have increased some security checks - c'mon onceu get established u will understand the importance of it!!

As regards the output, yes the Output is HDMI. As also there's 1 SPDIF port (Dont exactly remember where to put the slash "/"), which foes directly to a speaker if u want to connect ur speaker directly to the Speaker system.

@ Jignesh

Let me see on it......my only concern is - i have so much mess around my box, that it would be embarassing for me to put such pics here!! 🙂

---------- Post added at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Btw, if u want to see the rear of it - the slots given and all, then check this link - only the looks are slightly modified, else it is this product only....
DSR4611 HD MPEG-4 DTH PVR

lol @jymn.. i wont be posting pics for the same reason!

Exactly.....and what does one need pics for?? Mainly to see whats there at the back-end of the box, right?? thats available at the link i have provided.

Still, Jignesh let me know if there's any other reason for seeing pics of the box.

Ok, i will be trying to post the looks of Software and all by tomorrow.

Have u been using d2h all along? Will you (jymn2005) / anybody will be able to compare the d2h HD with other providers?

I m sorry mate, i have been using D2h only......i started with the Standard box in November & got the HD DVR now.....so i cant compare the experiences of 2 services 1 on 1......

Ok so, here are some pics......

This is how the Remote Looks. Its blurred a bit, coz my Cell Camera is not that strong for Close-ups under artificial lights.

This is the Main menu......

The Info bar.....covers good amount of area, but if u increase the transparency from settings, then it can be countered.

The detailed description here, doesnt come by default. You need to press the "i" button.....

This is how the DVR Menu looks

Playing the recorded video....

Notice that u can place bookmarks in the video & edit them as well - i think its available in all providers......

Lastly.....

If you do not want to go to DVR Menu, you can schedule a Recording or a Reminder directly from the Channel list, regardless of the channel you are on. Here, i was on NGC HD, and wanted to record a show on Travel XP - i had that option......
And still, as obviously implied, an instant recording, Play/Pause can be started just by hitting the relevant button on remote.

Not a feature to boast of - but just to inform that there's no inconvenience if u need to do impulsive recording!!

PS: Please bear with the "Tubelight" thats visible on the TV......i cant help it!!

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

Btw, i noticed this today......1 HD Channel is missing altogether!! D2h Movies & D2h Music HD channels have been merged into 1 channel!! :O

I hope this is for good - may be to accommodate 2 HD Channels - Star Cricket HD & ESPN HD......coz there's already 1 "Test feed" - so they have 2 free slots now.