Vi not enabling full dnd. Can I do anything?

• Thread starter Thread starter codwapeace
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 3,723
Truecaller is best for this. I have DND on my Idea number for ages, but still get 1-2 Spam call daily on an average.
Most of the time, I ignore incoming call on my Idea number from unknown callers.
(I know Truecaller has its own privacy issues, but so far it works well for me as I have paid yearly subscription)
But what are the privacy issues? They clearly state that you can delete your data from their server (via the app) also the app doesn't ask for permissions or if it asks we can deny it (in IOS I'm talking about). It works pretty well.
But on the other side, On Android it asks for bunch of permissions, So that's also a plus point of using Apple Products maybe?

What about the data farmed from users contacts, that user may have given permission but what about those who are not users but still end up on the Truecaller database?

They can simply unlist their number. I did it with my 2 numbers and it works well imo.

Since I have never used this crap I didn't even know my data had been farmed because some moron with my number in his contacts had freely given permission. it's just my luck someone mentioned this to me & I became aware of this. Have you given any thought how many million cases are there like this or the fact that someone who is not a party to some agreement has his data farmed & used for God knows what. Just today there a report by Livrmint, of Bigbasket data being stolen & sold on the dark web
AFTER I came to know I did the obvious & unlisted my number but even here it's only good faith & again you have to give permission to login using your email ID & after the job is 'done', revoke that permission.

Thanks, i never use my real personal email with anyone. I have one icloud email account, which has 3 aliases.
I use each of them for personal, business & spam stuff.
Now they have even made the Signing in to apps easier with help of Sign in With Apple (which generates random apple email address) which can be deleted later.
I'm not bashing that Apple is so great and all, but at least it respects privacy.
I use 2 sim cards, and Sometimes it becomes hard to track spam calls and all, So here Truecaller comes to help.
It blocks a lot of calls automatically. Truecaller isn't best too.
Nothing is upto the mark but if it gives value to someone then the person should use the service.

Also they won't farm your data if you have unlisted your number. So don't worry about it

I guess each one has to weigh in on the risk & benefits as per their needs. For me I am not that sanguine about Truecaller & their 'unlisting' removes our data. (I think I know a little bit about how that works 😑). They way they have gone about everything, from inception does not fill me with confidence. More like FB w/o the big brash comments.