Very slow speeds on MTNL FTTH Fibre Network

• Thread starter Thread starter mkasim
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 9,740
ISP
MTNL FTTH
For the last 3 days, I am getting speeds of 0.2 - 0.5 Mbps. While last week I was getting 9.8 dl / 4.8 ul.
I spoke with 2 people at MTNL. One mentioned that I had crossed the free usage cap, which is rubbish as when I checked with another person, I am well under it. The 2nd guy mentioned getting all the joints checked between my building and the exchange.
Anyone else in the same predicament?

Same here but I am getting 23 kbps where as i should be getting 512kbps.
Not a single website opens.
Posting from Vodafone 3G

So you've exceeded the FUP cap? Does it always fall this low? Have you spoken with MTNL to understand why its happened?

My cap is proportional to the day the VDSL started. But the problem is the connection speed after FUP cap is not reaching 512 kbps. They should have it at 1 mbps atleast.
But 512 kbps after FUP is not a stable speed. It drops to 10 kbps then increases to 600 kbps then down again to 200 kbps and that is messing up with browsing experience. Not a single page is loading fully and time outs have increased exponentially.

Did I mention that one of the MTNL sr. staff tried to convince me that there is a daily cap based on the plan I've subscribed too. When I challenged him, he said that he's not sure and that he would have to check.

@mkasim Do you have actual FTTH or VDSL? What kind of cable comes in to your modem?

My connection is VDSL2, Fibre To The Cabinet (exchange) I believe would be the correct technical term. From the exchange to home it runs on copper, in to a VDSL modem.

mkasim said:
My connection is VDSL2, Fibre To The Cabinet (exchange) I believe would be the correct technical term. From the exchange to home it runs on copper, in to a VDSL modem.
Aha. Then this thread is mislabeled. This is not MTNL FTTH, this is MTNL VDSL - the VDSL products use (more or less) the same infrastructure as the existing ADSL products. They are two different products using two different sets of infrastructure - FTTH has fibre all the way in to your living room.

The slight difference between the 2 that MTNL says is that it is fibre from Prabhadevi to the exchange and then copper to home. The VDSL connection is enabled on current phone lines, as is ADSL, whereas for FTTH one gets a phone number from Prabhadevi exchange, regardless of the area one stays in.
But you're right in that it isn't true FTTH. I believe that is what they are offering in new buildings and society's where there is a significant number of subscription interest.

mkasim said:
The slight difference between the 2 that MTNL says is that it is fibre from Prabhadevi to the exchange and then copper to home. The VDSL connection is enabled on current phone lines, as is ADSL, whereas for FTTH one gets a phone number from Prabhadevi exchange, regardless of the area one stays in.
But you're right in that it isn't true FTTH. I believe that is what they are offering in new buildings and society's where there is a significant number of subscription interest.
Strictly speaking, A/VDSL isn't FTT anything, unless they have started deploying fibre-fed cabinets on the streets which I've not personally witnessed MTNL doing. or heard about from any of the MTNL brass at trade-shows and stuff or even read about - and I live not too far from Prabhadevi.
Even then, that would technically be Fibre to the Curb or Fibre to the Neighbourhood, but not a connection that could be accurately marketed or even described as FTTx, even if they were deploying cabinets with fiber leading in to them.
Other than that, Fibre Optics have been used in telecommunications networks for decades to connect over longer distances (such as between various exchanges throughout the city or inter-city connectivity) - even back in the old dialup days there would have been fibre in there somewhere but you don't hear that being marketed as "fibre to the exchange" or anything, do you?
What has been intimated by MTNL in all their presentations is that the fibre network is all new - all the cables, all the equipment in between you and the exchange or CO, all the equipment *at* the CO - everything. In a manner of speaking, they're starting from scratch. But what you have is DSL, not fibre to the anything. That is all.

My connection is back up to 10Mbps!! I'd messed up some DNS settings. So no complaints.
mgcarley ur technically correct, but not interested in splitting hairs.

mkasim said:
mgcarley ur technically correct, but not interested in splitting hairs.
Perhaps, but the thread title is misleading - you're not *on* the FTTH network. The infra is sufficiently separate that it would almost like blaming an entirely different company for a problem they have nothing to do with.

It's FTTC or FTTB.
Not FTTH. But still, Fiber is definitely involved in his connectivity. 😛layful:

sanke1 said:
It's FTTC or FTTB.

Not FTTH. But still, Fiber is definitely involved in his connectivity. 😛layful:
So? Fibre is involved for ADSL and dialup too up to a point - I already went over this in a previous post.
Additionally the fibre involved in the DSL network(s) is not the same fibre they are using to roll out FTTH. They are separate products with separate networks. I already went over this in a previous post too.
This topic is about the VDSL network, not the FTTH network. What part of this are you not getting?

mgcarley said:
This topic is about the VDSL network, not the FTTH network. What part of this are you not getting?
mg is right. The exchanges are inter-linked with fibre anyway. What matters is the type of "last mile" infrastructure, which in this case is pure adulterated copper.