Very Happy with BSNL Broadband (till June 30)

  • Thread starter videshi_laloo
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 18
  • Views: Views 7,934
V

videshi_laloo

Newbie
Messages
44
Location
NA
Am currently on BSNL DataOne in Chennai, 256kbps , unlimited usage plan. (this lasts only till June 30th.)

Am very happy and satisfied till then with BSNL's service and data rate. If they do not come out with a unlimited usage plan after that day(or extend the promotional plan) then there is no point in continuing with BSNL paying per MB of data.

Everything works fine and am able to get around ~30KB/sec (or approx 240kbps) or pretty much as per their advertised rate.

Some points to note:

It is a PPPoE connection. Those using XP need to go into internet connection wizard and setup a new connection using the steps in it for PPPoE.

For Win2K and other OS'es you need to use any available PPPoE software/dialers to set it up. The tech guy who came is not very helpfull(or knowledgeable. It is outsourced to some 3rd party) Although the BSNL staff who came were nice and tried their best to help.

Download speed varies from 180-250kbps. Average is around 220kbps(28KBs) This is being sustained! even for several hours. :) Upload is only 30-40kbps.DSL speedtests give a speed of around 200kbps download and 40 upload.

Was able to download Knoppix Linux (~700MB) in ~7.30 hours, overnight yesterday at over 200kbps. For smaller file ~1-2MB, data rate was as high as ~252kbps. Stats below are those from Flashget download manager.

--

http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/ftp/mirror/knoppix/
Local File E:\....\KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso
File Date 08/22/04 19:01:00
File Size 733499392
Completed 733499392
Total Time 07:43:12
Average Speed 25.77 KB/s ------------>206kbps for 700MB over 7 hours sustained


---
If anyone has any questions on DataOne or requires any further help getting PPPoE setup for Win2K/XP , let me know.

Another interesting tidbit, Reliance salesperson showed up today with their broadband offering. Their fiber optic cable is just 100feet away :) and PoP about 500meters.

Reliance is offering 128kbps unlimited DSL (or ethernet if within 100ft of PoP) for Rs 750 and 256kbps, unlimited at Rs 1200. With Static IP as a bonus. (The Reliance guy did not mention any data transfer limit. Said it was unlimited. Will check on this).

Come July 1st, if BSNL does'nt offer an unlimited plan for under Rs 800, then Reliance or Bharti is the best choice.

Cisco is also busy putting their Metro Ethernet broadband system for Tata Indicom here.

Look foward to seeing many more "true, unlimited" broadband providers and users :)
 
Sushubh

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
Messages
394,564
Location
Gurgaon
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
yeah another dude has had good experiences with BSNL Broadband package till now. the thing is whether they can sustain that with more users joining in...
 
B

bugatti

Regular
Messages
156
Location
NA
ISP
bsnl
I got the work order for bsnl broadband yesterday. 512k connection. Should get the connection in a week. Right now I have 256k airtel.
 
V

videshi_laloo

Newbie
Messages
44
Location
NA
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 06:27 AM
yeah another dude has had good experiences with BSNL Broadband package till now. the thing is whether they can sustain that with more users joining in...
[snapback]6051[/snapback]
[/quote]


Sushubh,

That is indeed going to be the crucial issue. Plus they have to improve their customer service a lot and setup a 24hr ,tollfree , technical helpdesk along with their current customer inquiry helpline.

Not sure whether my post praising DataOne caused a jinx :eek: But a bit of bad news regarding the service. After I posted yesterday prasing the DataOne service, today evening from around 5Pm till 10.30PM the service was down. (Error 768: Remote server not responding).

And the worst part, NO customer service. NO one even picked up the phone. Government of India company like BSNL needs to understand that Internet is 24hrs not just government working hours. If BSNL does not setup a toll free, 24hr technical help desk, it is going to be a BIG problem. This 24 hr, technical support desk, should also register complaints and issue a ticket number for same and give a time frame by which the problem will be solved.

It is working fine now. Giving BSNL some leeway because it is a [email protected]$$ive rollout and there is bound to be teething troubles. Will update and let you guys know if these kind of service breakdowns keep recurring and time taken to restore the service by BSNL.
 
Sushubh

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
Messages
394,564
Location
Gurgaon
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
customer support from a govt orgainisation?it took me 30 minutes to find a form for their dialup package at the exchange, than spent another 20 minutes to find the right counter. the guy delivering the form did not know what a dialup package was as he was more used to hearing sancharnet forms...
 
A

adymate

Newbie
Messages
18
Location
NA
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 06:27 AM
yeah another dude has had good experiences with BSNL Broadband package till now. the thing is whether they can sustain that with more users joining in...
[snapback]6051[/snapback]
[/quote]

WHEN ARE THEY LAUNCHING THEIR SERVICES IN CHANDIGARH ???? :huh:
 


V

videshi_laloo

Newbie
Messages
44
Location
NA
Adymate,Chandiagarh and other cities in 2nd pahase after the 4 metros +Bangalore +Hyderabad +Ahemdabad. Most likely April-may.--An update on experience till date with DataOne.On the whole still satisfied. Uptime is pretty OK, considering the scale of the [email protected]$$ive nationwide rollout and teething troubles.But did suffer a major outage. It lasted close to 3 days. From 28Feb to 2Mar DSL service to this locality was disrupted.Was getting "Error 678: Remote computer not responding" and even after pointing this out to the local CO engineer, they had no clue on what was the problem. Had to contact the Senior Divisional Engineer (SDE) incharge of DataOne before the problem was solved.A card in the DSLAM in the local telephone exchange handling about 20 DataOne connections had somehow gone into blocking mode(due to bad admin?) and was not transferring data at all.Some points to note:1. If you get "Error: 678" it is most likely at the local CO dslam.2. Even if the DSL line reports OK in the modem , and you get error 678, ask the local JTO to check the ports on the DSLAM.3. Ask him to specifically check if the ports are in "fowarding state" or not.4. the local guys are clueless. Ask to speak to the SDE or better yet to the GM-Broadband in your city, if you have a problem not solved within a day.---Even with numerous customer additions the speed and data transfer is very consistent, as promised. In that respect, BSNL DataOne is good.DSL speedtest just a while ago:2005-03-12 02:07:01 EST: 244 / 55Your download speed : 250396 bps, or 244 kbps.A 30.5 KB/sec transfer rate.Your upload speed : 56845 bps, or 55 kbps.Pretty good: Getting 30.5KB download (approx 244kbps) as per promised 256kbps and upload is 55kbps , as per promised 64kbps. So the test report says speed range falls between "CD quality mp3" and "300K video stream" :D Plus the data transfer is being sustained for 5-6hrs continuously. No problems.---So considering all the points including their barely tolerable customer service , would still recommend Dataone, but only till June 30.If BSNL does not offer an unlimited plan by that date, then best options would be 1. Reliance 128K unlimited -- Rs 750 (no compulsory voice addon)2. Relaince 256K unlimited -- Rs 12003. Bharti Airtel 128K unlimited(Rs 900) + voice (compulsory addon) (Rs 249) -- 1149 Plus Reliance is offering Ethernet (within 100ft) and Static IP on DSL plans as well. No 10GB or any data limit on their Consumer DIA plans. It is *unlimited* . Checked with Reliance manager. You also please check in your city and post a confirm of that. Also call Reliance in your city and ask them to offer a 256K *unlimited* plan at Rs 999. :p Tata Indicom has laid fiber for their Metro Ethernet project here. But have not come out with their tarrifs. Let us hope 512K or 1MB becomes the standard in the next 1-2years just like cell phones have grown in numbers and features and prices have fallen! The era of good and true broadband in India has started.!
 
S

srikanthmsp

Newbie
Messages
77
Location
NA
ISP
Dataone
ya lets be optimistic and look for T1 connection for less than a 1000 bucks
 
A

adymate

Newbie
Messages
18
Location
NA
hehehehehehe :D ohahahahaha :lol: I like .. :D ..tt ... hoahohoho .. nice joke :p
 
A

amogh_gulwady

Viking Warrior
Messages
400
Location
NA
ISP
MTNL
One thing which I dont understand is this HUGE discrepancy between MTNL and BSNL. While BSNL has indeed allowed unlimited access until June 30, MTNL has no such scheme. Besides their download limits are 1/3rd compared to that of BSNL. MONOPOLY SUX!!!
 
V

videshi_laloo

Newbie
Messages
44
Location
NA
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2005, 11:28 AM
hoahohoho .. nice joke  :p
[snapback]6583[/snapback]
[/quote]


:D

Adymate,

It sure sounds like a joke now, but who knows .... it may turn out just like cellular.

Currently BSNL is offering *unlimited* local calling to all landlines for Rs 799/pm on Tarang CDMA WLL.

And GSM postpaid is now available for Rs199 per month and 0.99p per minute from 2 private companies here.

Similarly 512KB, unlimited maybe available for Rs999/pm in 1-2years.

It may come in the form of Wi-Max ,3G or DSL.

And if Reliance (along with Microsoft, conducting trials In India ) is serious about IPTv and wants to provide a set-top box +cableTv ,then there could be a paradigm change itself.

Let us hope for true, unlimited broadband :)
 
vishalrao

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Messages
6,132
Location
Pune
ISP
Microscan, PDPL and Tata Play.
Just called Reliance customer care number 3033 3434. They say its LIMITED, NOT UNLIMITED to 10gb per month for all plans. The email response says "customers will have unlimited connections but in the interest of general internet users, a 10gb cap is considered" !! HAHAIn this case, BSNL rocks! After the unlimited offer is over, I will switch to Home 3300 which is 1 mbps with 10gb limit...But hopefully before then they will make some improvements in the prices/limits...
 
K

kbjkbj1

Newbie
Messages
18
Location
NA
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 06:01 AM
Am currently on BSNL DataOne in Chennai, 256kbps , unlimited usage plan. (this lasts only till June 30th.)

Am very happy and satisfied till then with BSNL's service and data rate.  If they do not come out with a unlimited usage plan after that day(or extend the promotional plan) then there is no point in continuing with BSNL paying per MB of data.

Everything works fine and am able to get around ~30KB/sec (or approx 240kbps) or pretty much as per their advertised rate.

Some points to note:

It is a PPPoE  connection. Those using XP need to go into internet connection wizard and setup a new connection using the steps in it for PPPoE.

For Win2K and other OS'es you need to use any available PPPoE software/dialers to set it up. The tech guy who came is not very helpfull(or knowledgeable. It is outsourced to some 3rd party) Although the BSNL staff who came were nice and tried their best to help.

Download speed varies from 180-250kbps. Average is around 220kbps(28KBs) This is being sustained! even for several hours. :) Upload is only 30-40kbps.DSL speedtests give a speed of around 200kbps download and 40 upload.

Was able to download Knoppix Linux (~700MB) in ~7.30 hours, overnight yesterday at over 200kbps. For smaller file ~1-2MB, data rate was as high as ~252kbps. Stats below are those from Flashget download manager.

--

http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/ftp/mirror/knoppix/
Local File E:\....\KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso
File Date 08/22/04 19:01:00
File Size 733499392
Completed 733499392
Total Time 07:43:12
Average Speed 25.77 KB/s ------------>206kbps for 700MB over 7 hours sustained
---
If anyone has any questions on DataOne or requires any further help getting PPPoE setup for Win2K/XP , let me know.

Another interesting tidbit, Reliance salesperson showed up today with their broadband offering. Their fiber optic cable is just 100feet away :) and PoP about 500meters.

Reliance is offering 128kbps unlimited DSL (or ethernet if within 100ft of PoP) for Rs 750 and 256kbps, unlimited at Rs 1200. With Static IP as a bonus. (The Reliance guy did not mention any data transfer limit. Said it was unlimited. Will check on this).

Come July 1st, if BSNL does'nt offer an unlimited plan for under Rs 800, then Reliance or Bharti is the best choice.

Cisco is also busy putting their Metro Ethernet broadband system for Tata Indicom here.

Look foward to seeing many more \"true, unlimited\" broadband providers and users :)
[snapback]6050[/snapback]
[/quote]


Will your broadband work for VOIP?

Can you test if your DSL or Broadband will work for VOIP?

Try this :

testyourvoip.com > Select San Jose in Call Destination

Please send me your test results here for analysis.

Also you can try to check if BSNL is blocking VOIP ports.

type this at the command prompt
tftp tftp.vonage.net get test
it should say successful, 5 bytes in 1 second.

Thanks
kbjkbj1
 
V

videshi_laloo

Newbie
Messages
44
Location
NA
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 04:53 AM
Will your broadband work for VOIP?

Can you test if your DSL or Broadband will work for VOIP?

[snapback]8046[/snapback]
[/quote]


kbjkbj1,

Am currently using Skype to make VOIP calls without any problems.

Will update after trying the above tests as well later today.
 
K

kbjkbj1

Newbie
Messages
18
Location
NA
Hello,Can anyone tell me if using VOIP from a foreign VOIP service provider for making calls between US & India is legal. The broadband adapter will be installed with a internet connection & a PC based in India at my parents house & will be exclusively for personal use. Any comments !!!!Thankskbjkbj1