• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 4,433

socrates

I got banned!
ISP
Jio Fiber. FTTH
Today I got a call from +912516761226 number claiming to be from HDFC Bank credit card dept wanting to verify my details. I refused to share any info with him on the phone. To win my trust he started to rattle off my details. I still refused to give him any details. Then he started to threaten me by saying he would block my card that’s when I just disconnected the call. In all these years I have never faced any such calls but I am shocked how all this info has leaked out. 😡😡😡
Talking to their helpdesk is useless. Posting this experience here so others get a heads up about whats going on in the name of 'VERIFICATION'!!!!!

Last edited:
Truecaller shows this number as a 'verified business' 🤔

AulOGxo.jpg

I also got a similar call but it was an automated recording saying I should 'activate' my new HDFC card on the link that I will be receiving shortly. A card which I've been using for a while.

I did receive a shortened link on text shortly after. Did not open it, was not feeling frisky. The gall of these people

Hdfc actually do make ivr calls if you use your card in a different city, reach close to your credit limit etc.

Yeah but this was one of those cards that is not in use often or outstation.

@Smh Yes. Started with address, I didn't let it go beyond that. They have sent emails that state that we should update address IF there's a change. Since there's none there's nothing to be done from my side.

Last edited:
@Nishant Their CC dept is in Chennai that number shows its Kalyan. An organized scam could post that on Truecaller looks suspicious. No response on Twitter they are v slow now a days.🥴

Last edited:
@Smh yeah, it happens employees in private bank have a huge work pressure and impossible monthly sales numbers. If anyone have a huge pile of cash sitting on pvt account just move it to a govt bank use pvt banks for spending purpose only. I worked in axis bank I've seen colleagues discussing this possible scenario

All banks make pious pronouncements about not sharing ANY info over the phone but they are the ones who break the rules. If this was a genuine call then it just proves my point. Helpdesk told me they can't verify the number from their end but 'advised' me to use the card atleast for a token amount as the renewal was on 'hold' from their end. Still no response from their Twitter team. Covid has given all organizations a 'reason' to go easy on service.

Last edited:
As per RBI guidelines on enhancing security of card transactions, we have to temporarily disable your Online (Ecommerce), Contactless and International transactions on your card when we process the renewal card with new expiry date in the coming month. However, you can use your card anytime for swipe transactions at merchant outlets with PIN authentication and ATM transactions if applicable
I was told by phone banking today to use the CC
Please be rest assured that you can use your card as you are doing it currently. We will pro-actively intimate you in advance the date of renewal card processing along with specific information on temporary disablement of Online (Ecommerce), Contactless and International transactions for security reasons. You are requested to activate the same post that date as per your convenience.
How will they contact? By phone like the call I received today? Does that not contravene all their pious crap they hand out about not giving out ANY info on the phone, even when you call the phone banking number they tell you this.😳

Got my card today & the @@##$$ on +912516761226 wanted to 'verify' my details. I long had a suspicion that ppl from the banks AND the card manufacturer are responsible for these scams. I had posted another incident that involved a psu bank & its debit card in another thread. The bank still haven't responded to me on Twitter, its 3 days now.🤬 SBI had responded to me once in 9 secs. Yes that's right. After I posted a sms with a suspicious link they immediately confirmed that's its not sent by them. The RM's boss could not believe it & tried to be sarcastic till I chewed him up.

Last edited:
off topic...

At what frequency do they ask for KYC for CC.... it is really annoying.... I think they did it 3-4 years ago...

And they do not have any online process for doing that... have to physically send documents to their Chennai office.