µTorrent Updates

I am on a network and i want to block utorrent downloads on a certain PC. My router is not flexible enough to do that. Is there any program or solution which will block the traffic of utorrent without letting the user know of that program or solution. I tried using local firewall policies but they get reset after utorrent is reinstalled.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I think torrent apps are smart enough to bypass most blocking solution except for the high end stuff done by isps... Deep packet inspection?

no idea how DHT thing works,i always assumed client needs to contact tracker first to get started.but i am sure if you have physical access of that machine then torrent can be blocked in many ways.

Blocking thru hosts is a good option. I also thought of scheduling a task to kill utorrent or block its traffic.

Try Blocking utorrent's exe in advance firewall setting. this way it won't get reset on reinstall. Create new outbound block rule of exe. Only applicable on windows 7 and above.

Yep, simply use a firewall and silently block the application. In that case utorrent won't be able to pass through your firewall.

kabir said:
Try Blocking utorrent's exe in advance firewall setting. this way it won't get reset on reinstall. Create new outbound block rule of exe. Only applicable on windows 7 and above.
till now i was doing this only..it somehow bypasses this. I am sure no one does that.

Yes the only flaw in this method is if you change the default location of utorrent installation directory then this method won't work coz outbound block rule works on location basis of exe.
If you wanna try third party software then try "Internet Lock". http://www.toplang.com/internetlock.htm I used this on many clients of mine when i was in that business. 671 kb program. password protected. very effective. and you can always find full version on net.

If you have DDWRT or Tomato capable router, you could shape torrent traffic within your home network. It can also limit overall BW of specific host.
Myself use it to prioritize browsing over P2P ( tomataoUSB on Asus RT-N16).But then.I don't think it can be done at an IP level+Traffic Type in this solution.

µTorrent Pro to feature ability to preview media before download completes and more

d6m54pm.png