µTorrent Updates

1. Yes it will to an extent since it will allow u to connect to more seeds/peers. The difference will be more apparent on slow torrents such as new movies with public trackers which are generally choked with leechers and not so much on music albums/apps which are usually well seeded and don't attract that much traffic at one go. Also it will help incase ur downloading somethin rare (1 or 2 seeds).

2. No, it doesn't.

3. You can try BitComet and see if that gives u better speeds.

4. As long as there are port forwarding settings available via graphic interface at http://192.168.1.1/main.html u don't need to upgrade the firmware. If these aren't available simply ask them for a replacement.

5. Hmmm. If ur on XP w/ SP2 u could try installing the patch which increases the max allowed half open TCP connection limit to 50 (limited to 10 in SP2). Try googling for it. Also try using torrents with private trackers.
Apart from this, nothin else which comes to my mind.

Originally posted by mytor@Mar 16 2006, 11:02 AM
Thank You all of you for your prompt replies.

As I said, I am not too technically oriented, however, I will certainly try the advise given by u all.

I am in Noida Sector 25.
------------
Can someone please confirm the following?

1. Is port forwarding for utorrent going to help increase the speed?
2. Does it also effect the browsing / surfing speed?
3. I chose utorrent as this had the smallest footprint as advertised. But if i can get faster speeds thru some other client, I can try that.
4. How can I find out which version of the firmware is on the 220. Is it necessary to upgrade the firmware? IF yes, can u guide me please.
5. Any other recommended tweaking to get the best out of Airtel?

Thanks once again
Mytor
[snapback]44728[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have downloaded lots of music files and other application files. most of them nearing 1gb. i am in 512kbps connection speed/256 actual. i have used almost all the torrent clients.

i have not done any of the port forwarding business. of course all i do is, in any application i look for the preferences, options, etc., open them tinker, here and there and see. nothing will go wrong. you can always reinstal. 🙂

at the moment i am using bit tornado client. it is simple, neat, less colurful. my downloads touch as high as 35kBs and uploads 25kBs. in principle all torrent clients are programmed to encourage you to increase your upload speed to get better download. i have seen for a total of 50kBs total download speed, you have to fix at download spd rate to 50 and upload. 15 it works well.

all depends on experiementing with the client settings, trial and error. also look for how strongly your file is seeded. for good download speed, better to look for at least 8 seeded 10 peers type. B)

once again, try to read the tutorials available in the bit torrent FAQ area.

stpmds/chennai

Nice to know mytor that ur in Sec25 🙂 1->Yes2-> No3-> Stick to utorrent if ur downloading through private trackers like bwtorrents.com, link-removed.com etc . Bitcomet has a problem that it doesn't report your stats correctly. So it is banned on most privatet trackers. If you download through public trackers only u can go for Bitcomet. 4-> The dsl 'engineers' who come for installation of the the modem do the upgradation of the firwmware themselves so u need not worry about firmware.5-> If using win xpsp2 do the tcp patch as suggested by waterloo sunset.

just installed the 220BX now...i didnt had to do any port setup...just configured PPP & its' working fine....no NAT problems in P2Ps.

Originally posted by real_india@Mar 16 2006, 12:13 AM
Hi mytor i am also from Noida and using Airtel. I am staying in Sec 21. You can use
Bsnl's modem also but why do want use that when beetel 200bx is good enough. Port forwarding is very easy.

//Setting up Port Forwarding in Beetel 220BX//

1-> Configure your torrent client to listen to a particular port. In utorrent u can enter  this value in Options menu-> preferences->network-> port used for incoming connnection. Any value between 50000-60000 is recommended.

2->- From DOS prompt, type ipconfig. Note the IP address that you get.

3-> Now, go to 192.168.1.1/main.html

4-> Click on Advanced Setup
    Then browse for the NAT option. You reach NAT --> Virtual Servers Setup.

5-> This is where we setup port forwarding. Click on \"Add\"
- In this window, select \"Custom Server\" & enter the name of the app for which you are setting port forwarding(in this case utorrent).

6-> In \"Server IP Address:\" Enter the IP address you noted earlier
- Below, enter the port no. you selected in step 1(fill it in \"External Port Start\" & \"External Port End\")

7-> In protocol select TCP/UDP (we require both).

8-> Click Save/Apply and the modem will reboot.

9-> To check whether the port has been forwarded properly or not go this site

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 
click on proceed and then enter the port you want to check. Then click on User specified custom port.
[snapback]44706[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi,
I tried as u suggested. I do not know whether I really didi succeed.
First I tried to login to the 220 while I was on line, in a new browser window. It was troublesome. SO I disconnected the incoming phone line from the modem and then went thru the browser.
There was no "NAT" option. I tried all the options but to no avail. So I went out of the browser and thru a command prompt went to Telenet.

I followed all the steps as suggested above and reach the end where the option was to Save and Reboot. On selection, it messaged "... pl wait..." and nothing happened for a few minutes. I pressed enter and it messaged that "connection was lost".

ANyway I rebooted the PC and then connected to the Internet to restart my torrent. Then I went thru the utorrent options to test whether the port was registered as open. The software responded that the port was not.
Anyway I tried the other link that you had given on grc. com and went thru their routine. My prot ws tested adn it came back to "congratulate" me that my pc was at the highest level of stealth and did not registe its presence on the Internet despite repeated pings. ( I use ZoneAlarm firewall).
SO I really do not know where I stand. Anyway, now I am at work and will try once again with another port.

Even if nothing happens, thank you all for your advice.
Mytor

@mytor : to get NAT option go to
"http://192.168.1.1/main.html" (without the quotes)
go under advanced setup & then to NAt

check abt the current status of the port using the link below

https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=6002
(replace 6002 with your port no)
also if u have a firewall installed .. then make sure the port u r opening in the modem is allowed to freely communicate ...(open port in the firewall)

@thelord sorry for the plaigiarism 🙄 I have also used ur guide for port forwarding from VT when i first got my connection( @real_india == @real_madrid in VT)

I've used utorrent w.o touching any of the routers config. I see the NAT error thing but its only slow when starting up..i'd say my avg speed is prolly 15KB.s it can go up as high as 20KB/sif i DL via ftp its constant 25KB/sNot sure whether port forwarding will make much diff ..

Hi dude,Dont have to worry about port forwarding actually, (if you are running on XP).All you have to do is Enable uPNP.In windows XP, just make sure upnp is added to the Windows firewall Exception List. + Enable uPNP in the modem's settings (192.168.1.1/main.html ) Advanced setup -> LAN in utorrent option - preferences -> network -> enable upnp.thats it.. Next time when u start ur utorrent, it will automap the dsl router with the appropriate ports...this is applicable for all upnp enabled apps...

@blr_p port forwarding will definately help. It will help in the sense in that on a torrent with good number of seeds/peers u will get the max speeds that ur getting via http/ftp. Also u will max out more quickly becoz when the port is not forwared ur getting data from a smaller number of peers. When ur accepting incoming connection u'll get data from more peers(thats how bittorrent protocol works).UPnP can be tricky 🙄 becoz it works for some people and it doesn't work for others. I'll recommend simple port forwarding.

Originally posted by xxbomb@Mar 16 2006, 12:02 AM
Service name : br_1_32 (your service name might be different)
Protocol : 1
External Start port : 20
External End port : 81
Internal Start Port :20
Internal End Port : 81
Internal Server IP address : 192.168.1.2

wt is this service name and i want the service name 4 emule?

I tried what RealIndia said; and i had no success with opening any port://///THat site states that my port is in stealth mode. Utorrent states port not forwardedI get terrible speeds with most torrents.....not even 60-75% of my total bandwidthNiether does Upnp gets enabled on either utorrent or bitcometUnder virtual server;Utorrent 53165 53165 TCP 53165 53165 192.168.1.xxxUtorrent 53165 53165 UDP 53165 53165 192.168.1.xxx xxx-> My ip addressThese are my settingsI was wondering if we have to tamper with the port triggering option under NAT?->> I am also using Pc Cillin Trend Internet Security 2006In firewall exceptions;It states:Connection : OutAction : AllowProtocol : TCPPort : AnyConnection : OutAction : AllowProtocol : UDPPort : AnyIt asks for type of connection : Incoming or outgoing......i have chosen outgoingThere is no option to enable both incoming and outgoing?IP Setting : All Ip addressesPlz help ?