• Thread starter Thread starter alig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 8,814

alig

The NeXt GeneraTion
ISP
Airtel
If you want to save money on the data connection and are using a Jailbroken phone and want to use Maps but don't want to spend the extra money to pay for data connection, Just download the program XGps which is available through Cydia, then you can just cash all the maps you need. it even has client for windows/Mac/Linux so you can download all the maps through you broadband and then sync it with xGPS on the phone.
What the best part about xGPS is that it supports turn wise Voice Directions, (Still in Beta) which is a really awesome feature. xGPS uses Google maps and yes recently Google maps has enabled routing for Indian maps.

xGPS - GPS for iPhone / iPod touch
http://xgps.xwaves.net/index.php/Main_Page

https://youtube.com/watch?v=taPg5q6wC0g&feature=player_embedded

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S6BrtXI9Da4&feature=player_embedded

Also there is another trick if you dont want to Jailbreak your iPhone, Just connect the phone to WiFi and surf through all the map area you are intrested in through the map application and then this map will stay in the cache till the next time you are in the maps application with WiFi/ EDGE on. Which means no charge for the data connection for using GPS on the maps since all the map area you need are already in the cache data of the maps application,now GPS can be used even if there is no data connection.

Let me know guys if you have any questions, I have been using xGps in India without any problem..

Hi Alig,Your Post was very helpful. I have also downloaded XGPSI want to use Google Maps offline. I want to use detailed maps for Delhi and Maps that include Highways for North India. Can you advise me what settings would be best to download the Maps in XGPS Manager after selecting all of North India.In XGPS Manager, By Default Zoom Levels 0, 16, 17 are selected for download. Should I leave these as this or modify these zoom settings? If i start the download with the default 0,16,17 it's taken 30 mins to complete 2 % of "Computing map parts" to download. It's not doing anything with the Web, it's just Using up CPU.And BTW are the maps for North India Available for Download to be used in XGPS through some torrents ??Thanks a lotStyler

Hi Alig,

Your Post was very helpful. I have also downloaded XGPS
I want to use Google Maps offline. I want to use detailed maps for Delhi and Maps that include Highways for North India.
Can you advise me what settings would be best to download the Maps in XGPS Manager after selecting all of North India.

In XGPS Manager, By Default Zoom Levels 0, 16, 17 are selected for download. Should I leave these as this or modify these zoom settings?

If i start the download with the default 0,16,17 it's taken 30 mins to complete 2 % of "Computing map parts" to download. It's not doing anything with the Web, it's just Using up CPU.

And BTW are the maps for North India Available for Download to be used in XGPS through some torrents ??

Thanks a lot
Styler

Hey Styler. Sorry for not replying for so long. I just noticed someone replied to this post. I am sure by now you have already figured out how to work with xgps. well For any maps you want you can easily download the selected area from within your iPhone well zoom level the default is the bare minimum . move it more to the right for more zoom levels. for downloading it in your iphone directly you need to have wifi. If you dont have wifi i suggest you get the xgps manager client for windows/MacOS/linux availible on the official website.
But with that too I think you need wifi. Not sure better check that out. Also while you are online on wifi you can save routes that you use regularly or are going to use before a trip and just save it through xgps on the iphone. If you do have an internet connection on your iPhone you can use routes in India now and will also tel you the alternate route in case of a wrong turn or a missed turn.

Hey Styler. Sorry for not replying for so long. I just noticed someone replied to this post. I am sure by now you have already figured out how to work with xgps. well For any maps you want you can easily download the selected area from within your iPhone well zoom level the default is the bare minimum . move it more to the right for more zoom levels. for downloading it in your iphone directly you need to have wifi. If you dont have wifi i suggest you get the xgps manager client for windows/MacOS/linux availible on the official website.
But with that too I think you need wifi. Not sure better check that out. Also while you are online on wifi you can save routes that you use regularly or are going to use before a trip and just save it through xgps on the iphone. If you do have an internet connection on your iPhone you can use routes in India now and will also tel you the alternate route in case of a wrong turn or a missed turn.

Thanks,
I am up & running with XGPS
I have been able to get internet connected through Vodafone Live although Vodafone in New Delhi says that Vodafone Live (No Monthly rental) is not compatible with Iphone

I am getting Voice prompts for routes, although they are not the shortest routes.

There are other issues with XGPS, mainly that you cannot bookmark any place and use that point in Driving Instruction.

I hope these will be sorted out in the next version of XGPS

It's a great software anyways, thanks for informing us about it.

Styler