• Views Views 6,589
Status
Not open for further replies.

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi Friends,

I am a new member and would like to thank you all for putting up this wonderful forum for Indian internet users.

I have been using Tata Indicom Plug 2 Surf Whiz pre-paid modem for the last one year on my Fedora Linux pc and let me tell you that it has been slow but virus free and a pleasure despite the great speed I experienced while studying abroad which was 10 MBps.

I hardly use Windows as it has only viruses to offer, I have just started a blog here at

Internet Availability In India.

So please share your experieces with an ISP of your choice in any part of Indian and I would be happy to reply and update the blog. thanks a lot

James

Pune

----------

I purchased my Tata Indicom Plug 2 Surf Whiz pre-paid USB modem in Oct 2008, it cost me exactly Rs. 1999.00, how much did yours cost when you purchased it?

Thanks

Hi Techtata, I stay in Nellore city,A.P which borders Chennai (180kms). I have Fedora 11 installed on Toshiba l 300 satellite notebook. I want to use the Tata Photon Whiz Usb (Wireless,of course) and i request you to guide me as to how to go about it! Thank you. regards, AUCURONT

Hi Aucuront,

Thanks for replying to my post.

I am using Tata Indicom Plug 2 Surf Whiz pre-paid modem on Fedora core 5. Yes, I installed this Fedora 5 when I was abroad studying and never felt the need to installed newer versions. But now I will do so in near future. I am happy that you have got Fedora 11 the latest stable version. Well done.

As I mentioned earlier I am using Tata Indicom Plug 2 Surf Whiz pre-paid modem and have no idea as to how the new Photon modem works with Fedora. But I have some instructions for you and I hope that will help you run Photon on Fedora 11. If it doesn't then I apologize in advance.

Basically you have to modify two files namely

/etc/wvdial.conf

/etc/resolv.conf

You need to be the root user of the system to do so, otherwise it is difficult. Please save the original files in some place and then only modify as I tell you. Your /etc/wvdial.conf file should contain the following. Please read the guide that came with the modem first and make necessary changes as this is only for Tata Indicom Plug 2 Surf Whiz pre-paid modem. Here are /etc/wvdial.conf file contents. You can just copy and paste the details in bold black letters as they are for both files.

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 460800
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
+FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Phone = #777
Username = internet
Password = internet
Stupid mode = 1

Here are /etc/resolv.conf file contents.

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

nameserver 202.54.29.5
nameserver 202.54.10.2

Here is a link to a page that contains similar instructions.

http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101809

You can also use some other nameservers if those two do not work and they are

nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 208.67.222.222

I also maintain a personal blog on Fedora commands which I learned on my own over the last few years whenever time permitted. Please have a look and leave your valuable feedback.

http://fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com/

If you have any problems please reply ASAP. So that other Photon plus users can get some help from this thread. Thanks a lot, mate.

James

Dear James, Thank you for the fast reply! Will get back ,possibly with moreOR less queries, as you have provided very impressive and useful info'.

Status
Not open for further replies.