• Thread starter Thread starter emptymt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,418

emptymt

Regular
ISP
MTNL
I got myself a mtnl sim for my iPad considering it the plans are better priced than its competitors and bsnl coverage should be a great boon while travelling. However I have a peculiar issue. The Internet connectivity is great as long as there is a 3G signal available. But once the 3G signal is gone, it refuses to work on edge mode. Infact even with full signal strength the device will not connect in edge mode. I tried the sim on a friends nexus 4 and the issue What could the issue be that prevents mtnl from connecting in edge mode on the nexus and ipad?Please help if anyone has any suggestions.

Mtnl's edge, while very poor, does work. Could you check whether any data transfer takes place when you try to open a Web page

May be its so slow that you feel that its not working. Try a speed test to see if the network connects.

x720 said:
Mtnl's edge, while very poor, does work. Could you check whether any data transfer takes place when you try to open a Web page
I did check. No data transfer happens. Just the standard connection timeout/page could not be reached messag come up while trying to access the net.
uumeshh said:
May be its so slow that you feel that its not working. Try a speed test to see if the network connects.
Naah. The data service does connect. But there is not net access. As in if I try one of the other mtnl apn's it gives me the message that "data subsciption is not active". But on the mtnl.net apn, on which my 3G works, there is no such error message. Just the usual timeout/page unreachable.
Additionally I was just trying stuff, and got the mtnl micro sim to fit in my Nokia E71, and on that it worked in Edge mode alright. Tried on iPad immediately and still no luck. Tried on friends Nexus4 later in the night as well, and samething. Even gogle.com doent open up in chrome.
Any other iPad users around? Does edge mode work for you'll on any operator at all?

When I got my ipad in 2010 I had this issue. I remember fiddling around with the apn. I have a chennai bsnl sim and was in Pune that time. It works for me now though, same SIM. If you are on prepaid, see the recharge options that are available, its kinda confusing atleast in BSNL. Sorry may not be much help.