Using IPTV with a router, setup help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infernalproteus

The Goan
ISP
BSNL 512
So this is my config: 1 Desktop, 1 Laptop, the BSNL Home 1800 plan and the http://www.wicebox.com which is connected to my TV. I also have a Huawei MT800 and a Linksys BEFW11S4 4 port wireless router.

Normally, the Huawei is connected to the "internet" port on the Linksys, and my desktop and laptop have wired connections to the Linksys. Linksys uses PPPoE to establish a connection on demand. No dialers required, this works fine for internet.

Enter IPTV...

Config 1:
Connect wicebox to 3rd port on my Linksys router via ethernet cable, everything else is the same (this is my desired setup).
Result: WiceBox when turned on cannot connect to the server, completely useless. At the same time, both machines can connect to the internet as before and I can watch IPTV on my computer through VLC player by connecting to a UDP stream (the address and port I found out while sinffing during some other configuration).

Note that the router has filter multicast turned off. The dude I spoke to (who did seem to know a decent amount of stuff), said that it's not working because my router is blocking IGMP packets. So even though I can connect and watch using UDP, that's not the same - IGMP is required for the menu system on the WiceBox...and UDP will cease to function once CAS is implemented and the signals are encrypted. 🙁

Config 2:
Same as above, but now the Huawei modem is connected to the lan port of the linksys, now all 4 ports are used, 1 for WiceBox, 2 for machines and 1 for the Huawei. The internet port on the Linksys is empty
Result: Machines have to use a PPPoE dialler to connect to the internet. But only one machine has access at a time! You cannot dial from a machine if another connection is already established. WiceBox works just fine all functions available on TV.

Config 3:
Same as config 2, but Huawei is reconfigured to be in PPPoE mode (in above configs, it was in pure bridge mode)
Result: Machines don't need dialers anymore, internet is always on and accessible. WiceBox menu shows up, but can only watch movies on VoD! If I go to the channel menu, I get a no signal for all channels, VoD works fine though. WTF!

The only soutions open to me now are to replace Huawei and Linksys with another ADSL router which they claim supports everything (have to pay 600 more). Or use a 2 port switch between the Huawei and Linksys in config 1. Or I think I can try and dick some more with config 2, maybe run a proxy server on a machine...but that is really cumbersome.

Any ideas? The outcome of config 3 really baffled me and I realized I don't know enough. Help!

Brian.

hello brian, config 3 should work perfectly.. according to me.. i tried it and it worked.. i made sure that the wireless router has dhcp turned off.. and also the ip address and the subnet of the wireless router is totally different from the Huawei modem..

I have a Netgear wireless router and the Huawei modem, config 3 works for me, but as superprash2003 says ip addresses have to be diff , which means i had to reconfig the wireless router after IPTV was installed. If VOD is working i dont see a problem with the connection , perhaps there is problem with the iptv box itself

I would think the WiceBox is faulty too, but it works just fine in Config 1 or when directly connected to the modem.Well, router subnet is 192.x and I believe the WiceBox has a statically assigned IP - 10.x, is this what you meant?The WiceBox seems to try to connect using PVC0 (on the modem) - and this does not work if PVC0 is in PPPoE mode (or always on). So in Config 3, if PVC0 is in PPPoE mode, only VoD works. Now I can change PVC1 to be in PPPoE mode, the WiceBox still works, but the router seems to use PVC0 as well and I still need a dialer - how can I get the router (or the WiceBox) to use PVC1?Thanks!

first of all.. i have aminet 125.. not wicebox.. but i still think it should work with wicebox too...but you said the wice box does not work in config 1..when i mean subnet i mean 255.255.255.0 or 255.0.0.0 make sure the modem uses one and the router uses the other..and say ur modem ip is 192.168.1.1 then change the router ip to say 193.169.1.1 to avoid any conflict whatsoever..in my setup pvc0 is in ppoe mode and it still works.. i am using my wireless router just like a hub.. only thing is that it works like a wireless hub.. the wireless router does not give any ips to any machine.. it is the modem that gives the ips..i dont think you can setup a router or the wicebox to listen to pvc1.. because most routers listen to only one PVC.. they dont have multiple PVC support..have u disabled dhcp on the router? and enabled dhcp on the modem??

Hi Superprash & infernal, Guys, I have a query on the same subject. Shouldn't the IPTV be similar to a comp wherein it can be set to receive a dynamic IP or we should be able to assign a static IP in the IPTv, be it a wicebox(pune) or aminebox(Bangalore). Well, if this is correct then, whether the BSNL huwaie is in bridge mode or the Linksys/Netgear in bridge mode, the IPTV should work fine with either one of them. Paresh 9960502228

yes iptv will work in either bridged or ppoe mode..I dont think you are allowed to change the settings of the STB

Ok, even if can't change the IP for STB, do u knw how can we view the IP that has been set on IPTV coz I am facing the same issue of the Internet disconnectin thr my w/s when I switch on the IPTV.I have now bridged my Huwai and enabled PPOe with DHCP on my w/s D-Link router. Now, my internet works perfect but my IPTV ain't workin. I have the RJ45 connected b/w the D-link LAN port to the STB.CIA

i remember experiencing a similar problem while i was doing some network testing at a place..there is no point in knowing the stb's ip its something like 10.x.x.x .. a solution to your problem is to buy either a hub or a switch .. you should get one for approx 500 bucks..Connect Huawei to switch and switch to D-Link.. connect iptv to switch..enable ppoe in huawei..

Try this :connect RJ45 from modem to another LAN port of D-Link, instead of Internet port. IPTV connection as usual.
Start run type cmd type ipconfig/all Give details.

I have a Netgear DG834G Wireless Router (with builtin ADSL Modem.)a) My Telephone Jack (after being splitted) directly connects to my Netgear Router's ADSL Jack.b) My router itself dials PPPOE connection and all other computers, network printer and Laptops get their IP's assigned via DHCP.c) I have some fixed DHCP IPs specifid in the router so that even if via DHCP, the laptop and other usual devices in my house gets fixed IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0I cannot change this config too much, as my printer, Windows Home Server, Media Center extender, all are connected and are working stable. (Uit took me a lot of time to get all of them working!)What to do if I take BSNL IPTV? Will connecting the STB to a free LAN port of my netgear work?

I'm having the exact same problem (VOD works, but no channels). I know the chaps behind the IPTV thingy, so I should have a solution on Monday. I'll let you guys know

/members/shamasis/
Welcome to broadbandforum.co

Will connecting the STB to a free LAN port of my Netgear work?
Yes. will confirm again.
will post diagram later. have to search in my Database.
But IPTV may not work in Wireless mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.