using internet during power cuts

• Thread starter Thread starter vaibs81
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 18,423

vaibs81

ISP
aitrel
Hi,I am an airtel broadband user. I use a laptop and I am using beetle 450 tc1 modem provided by airtel. The problem i am facing is that during power cuts(which is very frequent in my area), i am not able to use the internet as there is no power in modem. Can anybody suggest a solution to this problem? Few of the options that i could think of are:-1. Using a modem which runs on battary also(if available in market).2. Using a dial up during power cuts to connect to internet.please help.

You can simply get a Rs. 1,500 UPS from APC or good brand for modem. It will run a minimum of 1 hour without any trouble. But they come with built in auto shutdown when there is no load. You need to remove the corresponding resistor from board. Otherwise it will shutdown in 10 minutes.Using dial up is also a good option. You can alternatively use 2G/3G in your phone and use it as modem. 2G is very cheap these days. Hope this helps.

Agree with meetdilip.

Use laptop with power when you are at home so that you have battery backup when there is a power cut.

And, buying a good UPS is a better option. Use the UPS only for the modem, that way you won't put much load on it. But make sure you buy an UPS without that irritating 'Peep' noise or get it removed afterwards. 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
cheapest option would be BSNL EVDO (USB modem)... considering 2G/3G would be costly... for extensive use all u need is the power in ur laptop...

are there any USB powered ADSL modems ?

Don't think so.

@ OP

You won't be able to use dial up either. You will be needing a compatible modem in your laptops and I am not sure whether modern day laptops come with such modems.

You can simply get a Rs. 1,500 UPS from APC or good brand for modem. It will run a minimum of 1 hour without any trouble. But they come with built in auto shutdown when there is no load. You need to remove the corresponding resistor from board. Otherwise it will shutdown in 10 minutes.

Using dial up is also a good option. You can alternatively use 2G/3G in your phone and use it as modem. 2G is very cheap these days.

Hope this helps.

I am also using a APC ES 500 UPS. What resistor should be removed ?

I figured out that the best option is to use my mobile phone(Nokia 5800) as a modem and connect. This is the cheepest option also.

I am using UPS, Beetel and Intex UPS comes for just 900-1100 rs these days. I also used to use a Backup power supply came with my Cordless phone, It used to run my Old Netgear router for 30 minutes without problem. You can build or ask someone to build a similar power supply , should not cost more than 500 rs or Buy simple UPS.

I am also using a APC ES 500 UPS. What resistor should be removed ?

You can ask a technician who know the board of your UPS. Or you can simply take it to an APC service center and get it done in a minute or so.