Using Airtel Net On 2 Pcs

ISP
sify
is there any way to use airtel broadband to two pcs i have 2 pcs having lan slots and a hub how do i configure my both pcs to use net i dont have a router and i dont want to buy a router help plz

if it's just two pc's then i think you could also connect one of them to the lan port and the other to the usb..

QUOTE(ogtripleog @ Sep 20 2006, 10:11 PM) [snapback]62794[/snapback]
if it's just two pc's then i think you could also connect one of them to the lan port and the other to the usb..
[/b]

how can i do this
is this you are saying to connect both pcs to the same airtel modem { i have beetel 220 bx}
if yes then how can i do this .
previously i used hub to connect the both pcs and then use internet connection sharing by netwwork setup wizard but this is not working now {i don't know why}

QUOTE(Sudarshan @ Sep 20 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]62793[/snapback]
Hi

Just setup a network.
Get a switch or a hub and connect the lan wire from the DSL modem to the hub/switch, from the switch take a lan wire and connect it to both the comps.
On the comps give different ips, same gateway and server.
The net will start working.

KR
[/b]
hey thanks sudarshan that is what i need but plz tell me hot to config the ip and how to create broadband connection in the both pcs

hhhmmm before buying a switch, try this.. connect one of them pcs to the lan port and give it a static ip address. and then connect the other to the usb giving it another ip address.. for the lan, the gateway would be 192.168.1.1 and for the usb it would be 192.168.1.2.. i think it should work.. post back here

QUOTE(ogtripleog @ Sep 20 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]62801[/snapback]
hhhmmm before buying a switch, try this.. connect one of them pcs to the lan port and give it a static ip address. and then connect the other to the usb giving it another ip address.. for the lan, the gateway would be 192.168.1.1 and for the usb it would be 192.168.1.2.. i think it should work.. post back here
[/b]

friend i already have a hub help me to connect both computers to net

as told by sudershan i have connected a hub and the lan wire from the DSL modem to the hub and taken
a lan wire and connect it to both the comps.
On the comps i gave different ips, same gateway and server but the net is not working
i previously used dialup broadband connection to connect as setup by an airtel guy

plz help me

thank you all the net on both of my computers is now working that is what i done :1. connected the lan wire from beetel dsl 220 bx modem to hub2. connected both pcs lan to the hub using automatic settings in both lan 3. set pppoe in my dsl modem setting in 192.168.1.1 and it start working for me !!!!!!!!!!11111

QUOTE(ogtripleog @ Sep 20 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]62801[/snapback]
[/b]

This is for information to everyone.
IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO USE BOTH THE LAN & USB CONNECTION FROM THE MODEM
AT THE SAME TIME.DOING SO WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE MODEM.
IF AT ALL YOU WANT TO CONNECT 2 PC'S USE A HUB / SWITCH.

Airtel Tech support also advise against using both the ports.They have no problem if you use switch.

DOING SO WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE MODEM[/b]

hehe who cares the modem is airtel's responsibility 😉 😉 😀 😀

True. But if the modem was purchased out right? And if the modem did screw up & the user foolisly says to customer care whn they analyse the fault, that he has 2 conctns on the same modem,he will get screwed!

#1) What is the source of your information, noname, that it will shorten the life of the modem?#2) People who buy the modem are fools.#3) People who then tell Airtel that the modem is spoilt because they used both ports are definitely fools.

Ok, the source is Airtel Tech support [not customer support] - but wait , I dont think those guys have an agenda - they after all dont mind if the user connects 2 PC's using the switch.But then ...

The truth is something different here NONAME,We, at tech support, advise our customers not to use modem on both ports because, it will work fine on Ethernet port but the USB port will HANG again & again,Life of modem doesnot get short in that case but tech support do not advise customers to use both ports simultaneously so that users will not face the no browsing problem frequently due to the USB port hang problem o/w they will say that AIRTEL CONNECTION SUCKS, IT STOPS WORKING AFTER A SHORT TIME..

QUOTE(Airtel Buddie @ Nov 16 2006, 06:36 AM) [snapback]68865[/snapback]
The truth is something different here NONAME,

We, at tech support, advise our customers not to use modem on both ports because, it will work fine on Ethernet port but the USB port will HANG again & again,

[/b]

Hi Anshu,

Just the person who can help me!

I am helping a friend setup his router in Chennai with the Beetel 220 BX modem. The problem is, we both are in Sydney!! I have given him diagrams and step by step instructions about setting it up. My only problem is the Beetel modem. It would have to be in bridge mode. I do not think that it would be in that state by default.

Could you give me a step by step (if thats not too much trouble) or a detailed manual for the 220BX so I can send the instructions to Chennai??

Thanks in advance,

Live Long & Prosper
PiCaRd359

Hi picard, if you are configuring the 220bx with WiFi router or any other router, it must have to be configured in PPPoE mode (Direct Mode).. coz in bridging mode, it needs dialer to be configured & modem will be visible between router & DNS server ... so you have to configure it only on PPPoE mode in which you have to configure userid & password in modem settings...