Using Airtel Broadband during power cuts

• Thread starter Thread starter annne
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 8,438

annne

ISP
Airtel
Hi All,I am having an Airtel Broadband connection with Huawei SmartAX MT880 ADSL modem that I use with my office laptop. Since its necessary for me to use the connection even during power cuts, I am thinking of investing in a UPS.As the laptop runs well on battery for 1-1:30hours, just running the modem through UPS during power cuts will be enough for my purpose.Do you guys see any possible issues with this method? How long do you think the modem will run with this set up (it has a 12V DC 0.5A rating)? Also what sort of UPS - price range & brand - should I opt for?Any suggestions or inputs from anyone who is already using such a set up is what I am looking for.Thanks!

If you are going to run only the modem then even the cheapest UPS would be enough, they cost around 1.5 k. but I think the constant 'beep' from the ups would make working for a long time pretty difficult and annoying .

You can use a usb modem like beetel 100cx, it draws power from the usb port & dosnt need a seperate power source.

@annne Even if you use an UPS the modem MAY get disconnected during the transient time change over in UPS. ( usually > 24 ms) When you buy an UPS use a new cable with proper Polarity from the 12 V Battery of UPS to the modem's power input socket. ( Inner +ve ?)

You can use a usb modem like beetel 100cx, it draws power from the usb port & dosnt need a seperate power source.

From where can I buy a beetel 100cx and how much would it cost?

----------

Even if you use an UPS the modem MAY get disconnected
during the transient time change over in UPS. ( usually > 24 ms)

A disconnect during change over is fine with me as long as I'm able to connect again while there's a power cut.

When you buy an UPS use a new cable with proper
Polarity from the 12 V Battery of UPS to the
modem's power input socket. ( Inner +ve ?)

Simply using the existing modem adapter through the UPS won't work?

From where can I buy a beetel 100cx and how much would it cost?

----------

Just call airtel cc & get your modem changed to 100cx or get the modem on rent (Rs 50 per month) if you are currently not using a modem supplied by airtel.

I am using a APC ups...does not disconnect. APC brand is one of the best in the world.....except for the beeeep beeeep 😛leasehelp: I opened the case and put a screw in the beeper...stopped for couple of months but back again now. I wonder why they cant give a switch to opt it out.

my experience using apc ups has been disappointment. and yes, i am also surprised that UPS maker do not provide an option to stop the beeping sound. beeping should only occur when the UPS battery is going to die. 😛

I have the higher end of the APC UPS called Back-UPS RS series and for that via the software interface you can disable the beeps, it now just beeps once when the power goes and again once the power is back. I can say its one of the best UPS in the market its bit on the expensive side though, have been using it for around 3 years no problems what so ever, also you can add an external batter backup pack if you need that extra backup time, for me with the extra battery pack it gives around 1.1 - 1.3 hrs used to give more than 2 hrs when it was new.I also have that cheap APC one and yeah that beeps like crazy.

IMO, he should invest in an inverter rather than a ups, if the purpose is to power up only the MODEM. AFAIK, there is no sinewave issue with modems, since they are connected to 12v DC adapters, so if they are getting power supply of 12v DC, that will be sufficient.With inverter, he will be able to power up modem as well as Fans/Lights.My modem(220bx) is not connected to my UPS, its connected to my inverter line. And its been working fine for past 4 years.

my experience using apc ups has been disappointment. and yes, i am also surprised that UPS maker do not provide an option to stop the beeping sound.

beeping should only occur when the UPS battery is going to die. 😛

Make sure u get a apc with data cable , these dont even need a driver to detect on windows 🙂 . it costed me rs 3100 and i am usign it since 4 years

disconnecting modem can be fixed and the beep too ...i was able to fix the beep and modem disconnection too with the bundled software..

well the cheap edition i bought did not come with anything. i dont remember if it had the port for PC connectivity.

well the cheap edition i bought did not come with anything. i dont remember if it had the port for PC connectivity.

Even my friend ended up getting one with no port for pc connectivity .. 🙂 , he didnt think the new one dosent have