• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 13,006

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Dear Friends,
I have Airtel network on my mobile. I know nothing about internet service on mobile as I have never used it. I want to start using 3G internet on my mobile so that I can watch YouTube videos on the move as 3G offers much faster internet speed then 2G and to be able to surf 3G internet I need to buy a good mobile that supports 2G, 3G, wi-fi, EDGE, GPRS all the related technologies. Can you please guide me as to which handset/brand are good for me? Please recommend the ones that support all the technologies that I have mentioned.
My 2nd question is AirTel offers unlimited 3G internet in Mumbai as per the below page on their website. Although they reduce the speed after one has reached a certain usage in GB depending on the plan selected. I am in Mumbai right now.
http://www.airtel.in/Airtel-3G/tariffs.html

I am confused as to whether unlimited is really unlimited. I mean if I end up downloading 500 GB (this is just an example), they will not charge me extra even if I take the Rs 655 plan for my pre-paid connection with 3 GB in-built usage as mentioned in the table below. Thanks.

Unlimited Browsing Pack Rs.655 Rs.650 3 GB 30 days Unlimited usage at controlled speed (@ 80 kbps) beyond the in-built 3G usage Rs.755 Rs.750 4 GB 30 days Rs.855 Rs.850 5 GB 30 days Rs.951 Rs.950 6 GB 30 days Rs.1255 Rs.1250 8 GB for postpaid & 9 GB for prepaid 30 days Rs.1555 - 12 GB 30 days [color=rgb(228,27,37);]Volume Based Charging Packs[/color]

For your first question, would you please mention your budget so that we can suggest you the best device in that price segment?
Your second query about Airtel offering unlimited 3G internet, well if you look carefully, the plans are unlimited but there is a throttle that would be done, when you have consumed your allotted data with regards to your subscription plan.

Samuel said:
the plans are unlimited but there is a throttle that would be done, when you have consumed your allotted data with regards to your subscription plan.

You mean the speed will be reduced once I have consumed my alloted data, but still I can download unlimited at a reduced speed thereafter and there will be no extra charge.Thanks.
Thanks Samuel for posting the 3G tariff table as an image. I could not do it by simply copying and pasting for the page.
Samuel said:
For your first question, would you please mention your budget so that we can suggest you the best device in that price segment?

It is 5000-10000 rs. Thanks.

You throttle you mean the speed will be reduced once I have consumed my alloted data, but I can still download unlimited (say 1000 GB ormore than that) at a reduced speed thereafter and there will be no extra charge, right?
Thanks.

well. 80kbps is not really something that can be used to download gigs and gigs of data. regular webpages would struggle to load at these speeds.

chromaniac said:
well. 80kbps is not really something that can be used to download gigs and gigs of data. regular webpages would struggle to load at these speeds.
Yes, agreed.I was just trying to explain why exactly I need unlimited plan. I love watching a lot of Youtube videos. And thus unlimited is the best option. Please guide me as to what other plans are best for me and of course mobile models, brands do not really matter to me, thanks.

techtata said:
Yes, agreed.I was just trying to explain why exactly I need unlimited plan. I love watching a lot of Youtube videos. And thus unlimited is the best option. Please guide me as to what other plans are best for me and of course mobile models, brands do not really matter to me, thanks.
After FUP exhausts you can forget watching youtube on your mobile at 80 kbps, if at all you get that !!! :secret:

@techtataAfter your FUP, forget about downloading, your webpages even on mobile will be very very slow and make you cry. So don't even consider any of the plan as unlimited.

x720 said:
Is this 3G connection going to be used a substitute for wired broadband?
If possible, then yes. I have an unlimited internet plan at home and it is really unlimited. I often end up using 200+ GB each month, but no extra charge is applied. My speed is never reduced as well. This is what I really call unlimited plan. I hardly know anything about 3G on mobile phone, but the way TV ads are shown, I started feeling that with 3G on my mobile and an unlimited plan, I can enjoy the internet as much as I do it on my home pc. Thanks.

rak007 said:
@techtataAfter your FUP, forget about downloading, your webpages even on mobile will be very very slow and make you cry. So don't even consider any of the plan as unlimited.
Thanks a lot my friend for telling me the through. Unlimited 3G in India on mobile phoes is still a distant dream, I guess.Thank you verymuch that all of you have replied to this thread of mine and cleared my doubts about a constant speed unlimited 3G connection om mobile phones in India. Thanks a lot indeed.
Now I believe that even Ratan Tata can't watch 10 good quality movies on a so called 3G internet connection on his mobile.

I can only hope that one I will have an unlimited 3G plan with no reduction in speed and no limit no data. Finally let me conclude that unlimited 3G without speed reduction is not possible right now. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I will personall like request all mobile operators in India to do something about this very sad situation. I can watch as much TV with a DTH connection, but I can't use 3G as much as I like. what a shame!

x720 said:
Why would you want to even consider replacing your wireline connection? Which isp btw?
I do not want to replace my pc connection. I just want to use 3G on my mobile as my job requires YouTube videos all the time on the move. Thanks.
I want to attach a few images how to do so? Thanks