• Thread starter Thread starter inetbum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,731

inetbum

Regulars
ISP
MTNL TriBand Combo Unlimited
Till now their login string used to have the the IP and the MAC address fields alongwith the userid and p@$$word fields, but the MAC field wasn't used at all. Also they didn't bind us to an IP address.So what they are doing now is just what you'd have thought they were doing when you looked at their login string earlier, but for the fact that they weren't doing it 😉

woken up idiots.

I wonder where they are going to take the Mac ID from.

I usually send a bogus Mac ID with SuperSify anyway 🙂

Your Mac address is transmitted within Ethernet packets, I guess it wouldn't be too hard for them to pick out the *real* address from there - but then again, we're dealing with Sify... go figure.

SuperSify v0.52 will continue to work with this new scheme with no problems.

I for one am going to continue using a bogus id... would allow me to use SuperSify to login to my account from any machine - if they take the mac id from the login string.

Rather convenient becuase I found it among the sample avatar images on this forum. I BF, who you? 😉

Coming back to the topic (slightly) SuperSify v0.6 is coming along nicely. Should be out in a week or two - tops.

Yah most users probably wont have a problem with this feature till they dont change lan cards .But authenticating with ip is sh*t . What if someone playing pranks takes ur ip and do not move away ?? u wont be able to connect till that time even fromm any ip

Sify is doing this to protect against this kind of problem only 😉

One of the frequent requests being received by us is to resolve the issue of IP Conflicts. (An IP Conflict happens when a user unknowingly or otherwise makes changes in his IP configuration that is set at the time of installation)[/b]
--from http://broadband.sify.com/bb_security.html

why dont they get a dhcp server or whatever it is called. @$$ign dynamic IPs to every user who comes on their network?

They do use DHCP but only to @$$ign the external IPs which happens every time a person logs in.They wouldn't be able to use DHCP from their end to @$$ign the internal IPs but if DHCP is implemented on each gateway by each CTO for their respective LANs then the IP conflict problems would be eliminated 🙂

If Sify requires of the CTOs to do it then they won't have any choice 😉