User Review: Samsung Chromebook

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 9,030
So, I finally got my hands on the much desired Samsung Chromebook. It is a tiny little package with pretty nice display. Build quality? Typical Samsung. Does not feel solid.

Performance wise, the dual core ARM processor is not very good. It works fine on regular web pages but load a few heavy ones and everything turns into a mess.

I tried surfing the forum while listening to Google Music in another tab. Horrible user experience. Browser literally cried. I guess 2GB RAM does not matter much when the processor is grossly underpowered?

In any case, dad seems to be quite satisfied with it. It boots incredibly fast. Display is better than the previous netbook he had. It’s wider so most web pages fit fine on it. Battery life is something I would only find out in the days to come. But should suffice for his needs if Google’s 6.5 hours claim is anywhere close to real world figures.

Here are a bunch of random photos. Bad quality. I was just too eager to open it up and start playing with it so used my phone instead of my regular camera.

It's not really a bug. Google Drive cannot open password protected zips. So Chrome OS cannot because it relies on the same technology. It's a feature enhancement that has not yet arrived.

to be fair, only banks and similar institutions create password protected zips these days 🙂 i do not remember the last time i password protected a compressed file.

That is why it's important and would leave the user in an awkward situation when he/she wants to check the statements and stuff and... tada 😛eaceful:
Your Dads reaction is quite obvious.

Most banks/mutual funds send password protected pdf's.

Well I am annoyed that the password they use is his pan card. Which is not something very private in nature. You give it out as ID proof to random shopkeepers and blah blah.If someone is able to access that file on my computer/email-account, I think I have bigger things to worry about than someone reading my trading statements.my bank uses a combination of my name and birthday as a password. quite pointless again.

Also learnt today that Chromebook touchpad does not feature the right click button at the bottom right. Instead, it uses the MacBook style two finger click. Annoying really.Also, there is no caps lock button. I have to check what is the replacement function. 😀 I do miss three finger commands on the touchpad for browsing back and forward like on OS X.

chromaniac said:
Here is a demonstration of the flimsy quality of Samsung hardware. 😀
I am not sure why you had to gamble with Chromebook. I have a feeling you did not review enough on most important aspects before buying ( although its not easy to do so ).
You could you purchased a new Dell / Acer or other laptops out there without an OS and loaded Linux Mint in it. Best Linux distro for newbies coming from Windows background..
Only issue would have been that its difficult to install terminals ( like the once Karvy provides ). Tried installing the .exe via wine but wouldn't work. Dual booting with Windows was the only option to use the share terminal.

It works great for my dad. He no longer calls me up 5 times a week because he lost the icon for the browser or something changed on the desktop.