Use Hostel Internet Connection for Smart Devices

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishkarsh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,803
ISP
MTNL
I have a Chromecast, an Amazon Echo Dot, a few phones, one laptop, a Wipro Smart bulb in my hostel room. I have to give hotspot from one of my phones for the Echo Dot, Chromecast and Wipro Smart Bulb to connect, which isn't very convenient. I also have a hostel wi-fi with a Sophos captive portal with which I can't log in to my Echo Dot, Smart Bulb and Chromecast (but can through my laptop, phones and fire tv stick). Is there any way I can repeat the hostel signal logged in so that I can give the internet to all the devices in my room without having to log in?

Wow, these days college kids have so many devices in their hostels 😀 When I was studying there was nothing, just used to read books and max listen to music off cassette tapes or CD players.

(sorry i dont have any useful input to suggest here)

Yes, but each student gets their own access ID and password for one device. Now even when I've hoarded multiple, I cannot login to multiple devices with MAC address spoofing all the time when the lights go out. I tried installing a custom firmware on my old 450TC1 router, but it's too dated. Settled down on using an android app for my rooted phone which does the same thing that I was trying to achieve with the router (i.e. copy my home wifi credentials to which all of my smart devices have registered and use that to share my hostel internet connection).

Works brilliantly, all my problems are solved.