USB tethering vs. Data Card?

• Thread starter Thread starter suricate
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 4,664

suricate

ISP
BSNL
Hi guys,I've noticed that my 3G internet connection speed drops to only 20 - 50% (~300 kbit/s at best) when I use USB tethering to connect my mobile to my PC (compared to the speed I get when I use my LG-P500 directly)! I use the LG USB cable to connect, and I keep the location/orientation of the mobile invariant in the two cases for comparison. I'm using the USB driver provided by LG, and am just turning tethering on on my mobile to connect successfully. Is this behaviour normal? Or, could something be done to improve the tethering speed?Or, is using a data card a better option?Thanks.

Tethering mobile phone to laptop is faster unlike data card which could take a extra minute.

By and large tethering and browsing/downloading is meant for short period usage.
Your Android may be anywhere between Rs 10k to 30k but one can get 7.2 mbps data card for even rs 1200.

so no use wasting a quality phone for serious downloads when a cheap data card will do the job.

That said an expensive phone has better chip set comparing to rs 1500 data card. I found my Nexus-S Android speeds were even faster than similar speed data card.

But in a hurry if I need to access internet in laptop/pc and if the USB tethering cable is already in place,I will connect the phone for faster internet rather than data card.
I have used up to 4 to 5 hours with phone tethered but not all the time.

https://www.speedtest.net

Thanks. It's good to know that USB tethering can give good speed. I can't, at this point, compare with a data card, because I haven't used one yet. But your point is taken, and I should get one for "serious" downloads (which I don't think I'm into yet, -- just 1-2 GB per month for me so far 🙂 ).

But the question remains, how does your tethering speed compare with your phone (stand-alone) speed on the net? Do you get a hit due to tethering? As I said, I lose some 2-5x in speed, everything else remaining the same. Are there some tweaks that can improve my tethering experience? Thanks again.

I tried mobile tethering with Tata Docomo 3G on 2 mobiles, Nokia C5-00 and Nokia N95. On C5 I got about 2.1 Mbps speed while on N95 I get max 700 Kbps at same location. So I think speed depends upon type of handset as well.But I think its bad for mobile battery life if we use mobile tethering for longer duration, its better to use USB data card for longer browsing.