(urgent) need advice on buying a new router

• Thread starter Thread starter hymarathe
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,956

hymarathe

ISP
airtel
Please suggest a wifi router (without modem), here's my device list:* One Windows XP PC - to be connected wired* one Win 7 laptop - to be connected wired if in same room, or wirelessly in another room* one android phone* purpose is internet sharing between two people connected through different VPNs in different rooms. One using desktop (wired) another using laptop (wifi).* budget is 2-2.5K* ISP is Airtel Delhi, speed is 4 mbps* My router knowledge scale is 1 out of 10Requirements* If my laptop is connected though wifi from another room, there are atleast 2 walls if i draw a line of sight between laptop and router. Apprx distance between router and laptop would be 6-7 meters.* it'd be nice if it can split the internet speed equally between users* it'd be nice if it has wifi disable/off switch* it'd be nice if i can connect my 8 gb pen drive to share data. not a critical reqmt.* i won't mod it, so NO to modding requirement* i'd be buying from nehru place, new delhi in next 2-3 days* have local service center (noida or new delhi)* good warranty, atleast 2-3 yearsI was going through various threads and TP-Link and Buffaloo and Netgear have been the most suggested brands. Could you please suggest some models?I found some on Flipkart:TPLINK TL-WR941ND Rs 2760Netgear JWNR2000 Rs 2185TPLINK TL-WR841N Rs 1725Buffalo WCR-G300 Rs 2323Which one do you suggest?

If USB data sharing is not that important thn you can go with either

TP-Link TL-WR740N (Single Antenna) or TP-LINK TL-WR841N (Double Antenna)

I am using the 1st one and it fulfills my purpose:

Wifi range is pretty good, good signals upto 3 rooms. Able to browse on phone from ground floor (I live on 2nd Floor, tested with Lumia 800 and Xperia S)

No modding required (You have to upgrade to latest firmware if available from TP-LINK website)

Has the setting for Bandwidth Control (never tried it) , pic below:

No switch for disabling wifi (I think a physical button for that purpose is rare in routers) You can password protect wifi though.

Warranty 3 yrs and easily available at Nehru Place.

If USB data sharing is not that important thn you can go with either

TP-Link TL-WR740N (Single Antenna) or TP-LINK TL-WR841N (Double Antenna)

I am using the 1st one and it fulfills my purpose:

Wifi range is pretty good, good signals upto 3 rooms. Able to browse on phone from ground floor (I live on 2nd Floor, tested with Lumia 800 and Xperia S)

No modding required (You have to upgrade to latest firmware if available from TP-LINK website)

Has the setting for Bandwidth Control (never tried it) , pic below:

No switch for disabling wifi (I think a physical button for that purpose is rare in routers) You can password protect wifi though.

Warranty 3 yrs and easily available at Nehru Place.

Thanks, will go with TPLINK TL-WR841N. USB is not the priority for now, my urgent reqmt is to share internet connection, not to share files between devices. 🙂
I hope the router is easy to configure, any suggestions for a shop in Nehru Place?

Yeah I can, but I'll be going to Nehru Place as I also want to buy a new APC UPS (my old one is getting cranky now and I don't know where it will be serviced), and few other stuff.

Make sure warranty is 3 yrs (Flipkart shows 3yrs) and manufacturing should be new.
Thanks everyone and especially Sid, I ordered from FK for Rs 1725. Yes, it does say 3 yrs warranty. Wanted to go to NP, but some personal ork came up and can't go today so I ordered it online.
One reviewer commented that the router is easy to set up on Win 7 and Vista, but I'd like to make my personal PC with XP Sp2 as the main PC. Is configuring the modem tricky on XP? Can anyone provide any link where I can find info to configure it on XP?