Upstream and downstream limits

• Thread starter Thread starter doniv
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3,074

doniv

New to MTNL Triband, and "I'm lovin it!"

I just looked at the Status -> ADSL section in the router admin page and saw that the upstream and downstream limits for the connection were both set at 256 kbps.

Theoretically, this would mean that a combined transfer rate of 512 kbps should be possible - 256 in + 256 out.

From what I understand, if an ADSL connection is rated at 256 kbps, it would mean that this is a combination of the upstream and downstream rates. Usually, an ADSL connection is asymmetric in nature - meaning, the downstream rate is higher than the upstream, since users tend to download more rather than upload.

In other words, MTNL is actually providing a 512 kbps connection calling it a 256 kbps one, and that too a symmetric one. Users can actually upload and download simultaneously at 256 kbps. So we can now give as much as we take B)

Go try it out!

gyaan ke liye - ADSL on Wikipedia

Forgot to mention - it doesn't seem like MTNL is charging for uploads anyways! I've never seen them charge me as per the session history.

Uploads are not counted in usage.Though with 1gb download limit during days..nothing much you can d/l..yes NU time is a boon.MTNL is andhon main kaana raja for me 🙂 If you upload@full speed u wont get full dowload speed.Thats how TCP/IP works.and anyways out of the 256kbps around 10-12% is lost..i forgot why i think due to PPPOE.n no i dont think is a 512kbps connection.you dont add up ur download n uploads🙂Hope you enjoy your ADSL experience.

Originally posted by muttster`@Mar 5 2006, 02:13 PM
If you upload@full speed u wont get full dowload speed.Thats how TCP/IP works.and anyways out of the 256kbps around 10-12% is lost..i forgot why i think due to PPPOE.
n no i dont think is a 512kbps connection.you dont add up ur download n uploads🙂
[snapback]43669[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've kept my upload cap at 20 KBps. I'm getting 25 KBps down and pushing out 20 KBps right now.

Is your Sify connection a DSL one? If it is, whats the upstream/downstream limit on that?

nope sify is thru lan...i get 32kBps d/l speed on it..upstream is the same..🙂

Originally posted by muttster`@Mar 5 2006, 02:55 PM
nope sify is thru lan...i get 32kBps d/l speed on it..upstream is the same..🙂
[snapback]43673[/snapback]
[/quote]

So Sify says its a 64K connection or a 32K connection?

they say its a 256kbps connection which means 32kBps one way.dude u dont add up download + upload 😛

Originally posted by muttster`@Mar 5 2006, 03:10 PM
dude u dont add up download + upload 😛
[snapback]43675[/snapback]
[/quote]

What I was trying to say is that in DSL, available speed = upstream + downstream rates. If its not happening that way out here, all the better. The point was that users can keep their upload cap to as much as 20 KBps without their downloads suffering. If this is not news, then no probs...