Upgrading to 1Gbps Plan and Offer (TataSky Broadband)

• Thread starter Thread starter tatyasky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 198
  • Views Views 27,155
@tatyasky Thanks 😁

Here you go :

1. Excitel - Jaipur
2. Vi India - Jaipur
3. Tata Play Fiber - Jaipur
4. ClassicTech
5. Worldlink
6. Subisu
7. Simple Media Network Private Limited
8. AT&T - Houston Texas
9. Bell Canada (Any)
10. China Telecom - Shanghai

Also if you can then try uploading a video to YouTube and Drive and share how much speeds you actually get on upload. And download speed on Drive. Because I'm gonna mainly use it for uploads and Steam/Epic downloads.

Wtf dude you asked me for speedtests and within a minute got banned?

I think this is the 2nd time he got banned...wonder what he's been doing. 😀

3rd---4th time to be exact, initially I guess it was due to incorrect use of the Quote and I don't think he got banned due to spamming this time.
Also wondering why would havoc need a speed test for ATT, Bell, or China Telco.

The numbers of speed test, ping and trace route obsessed guys are really something. Don't they have anything better to do with their internet connections? 😀

By the looks of all the tests, It seems like Tata is heavily capping the upload bandwidth to around 400-550 Mbps along with 300 Mbps for international servers.

The China telecom Shanghai result is too poor. Here's mine (300 Mbps connection).

Source
Bell Canada Toronto -

Source
Also Singtel -

Source
All tests are done on Wifi. Bandwidth was reaching 400+ Mbps then coming back to 300. Still better than Tata's international bandwidth. Wonder why they're doing it? If a small ISP like Excitel selling plans at dirt cheap rates can do it why can't they even at 8x more price?

Latency is always higher because from my city traffic first routes to Delhi > Mumbai > Destination. Approx 32-56 ms latency addition (locally) as I've always noticed.

It's not about performance, it's about the circuit limit. Just like excitel even tataplay is buying a set amount of bandwidth from Tata America, it's not like since they are from the same entity they have control over the providers main backbone. So, depending on number of customers and other variations there will be differences.

Also, no ISP caps speed limits unless there's a bottleneck.
But obviously there are traffic shaping.

Also, hi havoc. I mean, baby clasher.

Last edited:
Something is wrong today. Max speedtest result is not going beyond 50 Mbps even on local TataPlay Fiber server. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Net down today. Cannot even log into Tata Play Fiber app using Jio or Airtel Network. Something has failed hard! No LOS red light. Just PPPOe authentication failure.

@tatyasky Do you have a landline with your connection? Here in Bangalore, plans above 200 Mbps require to be coupled with a landline.. on other note, how do you rate the overall performance of your 1 Gbps plan?

@thecooldean
For around ₹2800 per month, it’s bloody brilliant. There is 4-5 times downtime in a year which I report in this thread. Without 20% discount, it’s not worth it.
I don’t use torrent and cannot comment on torrent speed.
Landline is there but they don’t charge any extra for it. You can keep it disconected no issues.

Fingers crossed - I should be getting 1 gbps connection set up tomorrow!

Have to pay 12744 for 4 months which works out to 2700+gst per month. The offer is something like pay for 3 months and get 10% discount plus 1 month extra free.

They're giving the Nokia wifi router (dont know what model, probably the usual) but I asked and they appear to agree to set me up with bridged mode.

Will be hooking it up to my TP-Link ER605 load balancer router which has 4 WAN connections and 1 LAN - so that's Microscan 500, PDPL 300 and TPF 1gbit load balanced - and Airtel 4G (20-40 mbps) as backup when/if all 3 fail LOL.

Right now it's a lot going on but eventually plan to settle with 1 ftth out of these 3 and 1 hopefully 5G connection (Airtel? do your thing!) as backup.

@vishalrao man, just take the 1 Gig for a month long test drive and if it performs the way it should then renew for 3 months. Trust me...1 G was a disappointment with both Airtel and TPB.