Upgrading to 1Gbps Plan and Offer (TataSky Broadband)

• Thread starter Thread starter tatyasky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 198
  • Views Views 27,153
Mumbai does have better latencies, Pune is not really that far but they don't exactly have 5ms ping on everything.

@HC1337 I'll let you know if I see improvements. You must remember updating OLTs/ONTs does not necessarily lead to performance improvements but only bug fixes, security updates, feature updates etc that are more often than not invisible to end users like us. Not sure if they change routes.

Mumbai is the intl. gateway for western India and I would gather many places in central India as well. So theoretically Mumbai would be the bees knees when it comes to response times for broadband and other connectivity. Pune is not far behind given the geographical proximity. That's why I keep repeating on here that you really can't expect 300 or whatever Mbps downloads if you connect to a server on the other side of the planet. That's unrealistic. Also, VSNL/Tata Comms has a gateway in Pune too but I am not sure how they route the data. I get better ping responses from TPBB than Airtel. But that's not the sole indicator of network performance and connectivity. As @Lolita_Magnum rightly said, QoS and other traffic priority/shaping settings in a backbone or remote router can affect the timings.

That is true but in that 4 hours of downtime just in case they improved some routing related things, that would be a great thing.

Well, as I said before I'll check it out over the next few days and update. Please don't expect this everytime there's a downtime, there's also only so much they can optimise their equipment and routes. Remember the internet is like a chain..as good as the weakest link. You may have the best routing tables configured but what if the remote router or one of the intermediate routers is saturated or not optimised?

PS - Telecom is considered critical infrastructure (like power generation and supply) and ANY upgrades/updates/fixes/optimisation on ANY telecom system whether hardware or software is well thought out and implemented. They also have a Plan B just in case something goes belly up and they have to roll back. Believe me when I tell you heads can roll if someone cocks up. 🙂

That is true about the weakest link, and I wasn't really criticizing Tata, in my eye they are Top 2 and from what you have shared so far, they are great in every way possible. Just had curiosity as if every any big ISP has any maintenance downtime, they improved somethings somewhere which might not be noticible but might improve the usage of their services and make them that extra bit special.

Even I had same thing like @HC1337 in mind. Let me share... Whenever anything unusual happens like I suddenly get more speeds or lesser latencies I always reboot my router and think it's an OLT update. Even I did this just now after excitel services are back to normal. So yeah it's common to think that 😁

@havoc do consider that your router requires a reboot every now and then which frees up memory and makes it perform better. Remember these are cheap built to a cost devices. It may not have anything to do with the OLT. Also rebooting router can get you another IP address block which is routed differently. Things are not necessarily what they seem on the surface.

With extreme sadness, I am downgrading to 500 Mbps plan (3month package).
Reason: No discount offers.

So if I ask for feedback In one sentence "Is 1Gbps from Tata Play Fiber in India worth it?" What would be your answer? (Only thing I want to ask is whether it saturates full 900+ Mbps on sites like YouTube (download and upload), Drive, Steam, Epic Games etc.?). Thanks a lot again. Also let me know about international speeds & mainly upload speeds. You've been using it since more than 1 year.

@tatyasky leaving aside the cost factor... what was your experience with tata 1gbps plan? (sorry if you posted it already before, i missed) but stuff like international download speeds etc? (operating system updates in linux/windows etc) torrents etc?

@havoc TBH I would say that the 1 Gbps experience was satisfactory. I had low expectations to begin with but speeds did hit 900 Mbps+ at various occasions as I have mentioned in this thread. However, I believe, our ISPs are not yet ready infrastructure wise to offer 1Gbps and higher plans. The peering between various ISPs in India itself is bad. When I try to ping Jio IPv6 address in Mumbai from my TataPlay connection, I used to get 200ms pings with Airtel being the main culprit middleman. All this peering bullshit was bringing the experience down. With 30% discount, it was totally worth it for me. Without discount? NOT WORTH IT. I would need minimum 20% discount to walk this bleeding edge once again. The pricing is just not right.

I agree on the peering part. We need to have better inter ISP peeing for overall better experience, but as for plenty of other things what about those IXPs we have? Are they not being under utilized for the most part for this purpose?