Upgrading to 1Gbps Plan and Offer (TataSky Broadband)

• Thread starter Thread starter tatyasky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 198
  • Views Views 27,120
@havoc TPBB, Airtel & recently BSNL. Jio may join the list when they're up and running. 😀

TPBB may or may not give discounts on new connections...you have to try your luck. Remember it'll vary from city to city as does the pricing. Check their website for details

@AAK not exactly ditching excitel but thinking to try any new ISP with 1Gig plan. TBH haven't tried any ISP except Jio trial since 2019 when I got excitel installed. Never had any major issues with excitel except few from last week. That's why thinking to try something while it gets fixed 😁. Also planning to buy a new gaming laptop by Diwali so 1Gig flex + real world proper use.

Consulting our forum experts @Chip @Lolita_Magnum @nishantt6969 is always the best choice when trying anything new. Still confused between Airtel & TPF. Sometimes my mind says "Try Airtel & It's Static IP Speed Trick" sometimes "Go With TPF 1 Gig plan for 1 month and see if it's beneficial" about jio "Never ever take it" 😂
I was also considering ACT's 1 Gig plan @1999₹ but sadly it's not available in Jaipur. I have access to all ISP's but the confusion is not letting me choose one...

Also the main reason for not going with any other ISP since 2019 is FUP. Although I don't exhaust FUP every month (4-5 in 12 months) but I like to have that "Unlimited" thing. Because I don't want data caps come to my head every time I'm trying to do something which is large. Excitel never gave me that anxiety. That's why I might go to another provider for 3 or maybe 6 months on 1Gig plan. But I'm sure I'll exhaust that one and curse myself & the provider to cap my speeds at 5 Mbps.

Even if Excitel launches 1 Gig at 4000 I'm happy to pay for it as long as there is no FUP. What do you guys think about it? Any other 1 Gig provider in India with no FUP? As I can't find any 😢

P.S excitel recently launched 400 Mbps. I'll definitely recharge it once my current 300 Mbps plan expires on 7 December (Still A Loooong way to go waiting 🥲)

Last edited:
No, it's not like that 😅
I have edited the post for more clarity 😁

I do agree on the FUP part and not really sure again to why it's there for every provider still, AFAIK it was a ruling from TRAI? But since the last two years having caps on home broadband does seem a bit dumb in my opinion. Like the average joe won't get anywhere near the cap but having no end to a road of bandwidth is something everyone would appreciate.

Here are some FAQ's from TRAI's official Website.

Read them and share your thoughts guys.

I think many things should be updated now as it's 2022 not 2014. Data from usage to demand is very different...

Try Airtel for 3 months ( i guess installation charges are waived off ) with static ip.
If it doesn't works , TataPlay is always an option to try

@HC1337 totally agree. Even if truly unlimited is not possible for providers (which should be). They should introduce tiers for FUP. Like 40 Mbps plan users will get 3.3 TB, 100 Mbps = 4 TB and so on... Similarly 1 Gbps users should get 10 TB or more whatever... Because right now there's no need for an average person to pay premium just for higher speeds or just some OTT stuff. I personally feel this way share your thoughts too...

Providers in EU and CA (from what I heard of my friends there), have absolutely no FUP on their home fiber connections, on the other hand having outrageous Data Plans for 4G and 5G (kind of dig this tbh). We are heading there in the 4G and 5G department (with increasing prices) but some development in the home broadband situation would be great too.

@HC1337 absolutely true, Indian providers should really remove or increase their FUP limits.

Increasing won't really be good imo, just remove it and let nalla people like me sit at home and not disturb the world, this would also help many WFH users tremendously.

Alright before making this thread clumsy and making @Sushubh angry. I'll create a new thread where we'll discuss about FUP on broadband plans and how much it really affects ISP's.

Ok guys stick to the topic here i.e. TPBB. Any ways to continue where I left off about the downtime. It was restored within 4 hrs and I got a text asking me to reboot my router and get the latest updates. Now I wonder what they did. A new firmware upgrade on the OLTs + ONTs?

@havoc just try out TPBB and Airtel and keep what suits you. When it comes to ISPs these 2 are the least of all evils IMO. Rememvber, none of them are perfect.

Any changes to the quality of the connection or routing? I mean you are in Pune getting the best possible connection but any positive impacts you noticed so far after the update?

Thanks for sharing all this @Chip

I'll try both and see whom to keep.

Also as @HC1337 asked... I want to ask you is Pune better than Mumbai in terms of international routing & bandwidth? I mean Mumbai has direct submarine cables then why he mentioned that Pune is better? Yesterday or maybe day before it @nishantt6969 also mentioned about Pune. As per my knowledge & physics as Mumbai is closer to it's port and submarine cables it should have better latencies & speeds internationally. Put a light on this...