Upgrading to 1Gbps Plan and Offer (TataSky Broadband)

• Thread starter Thread starter tatyasky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 198
  • Views Views 27,095
Well, so they have not, and I believe will not, refund my money and I am stuck with this underperforming 1 Gbps connection till the subs runs out in early Dec. I am glad I didn't pay for a 6 month subscription. So much for the 1 Gbps experience 🙄 Anyway, I'll try Airtel next month when the subs is due for renewal but this time only for a month even if it costs me a bit more. Can't trust these ISPs anymore.

@panks21 @tatyasky guys if one of you has a static IPv6 from TSBB can you please confirm if both v4 and v6 are active? You would need to visit the WAN status page for both v4 and v6 via the Nokia admin login to check.

As for the pfSense at this time its running on an old PC an i7 with 2 Broadcom server NICs and onboard Mobo NIC as a trial. I may go in for a mini PC like the Qotom with 4 Intel Gb NICs, 8/16 GB RAM and a Ci5 or Ci7 processor. Thing is getting anything from Ali Express or China is near impossible. Based on the advice of a friend I also checked out Netgate but they get really expensive after shipping and import duties.

I think your Pfsense might not be capable of routing a 1 Gbps connection. Have you used latest LAN drivers for your ethernet card? If possible can you give me remote access to see if you have settings wrong? Make sure your MTU is 1492

I would suggest you to get a good Asus Router like this

When it comes to on-board LAN, nothing beats Intel i219-V for 1 Gigabit or Marvel Aqtion AQC107 for 10 Gigabit.

Last edited:
@tatyasky it was tested via a PPPoE connection bypassing the firewall/pfSense. The results were equally disappointing. If the network card is a bottle neck I would be more than happy to replace it. My main PC is a Core i7 extreme edition processor with 32 GB of RAM..so there is no hitch there. I'll dig into this NIC part deeply before upgrading my setup to a Core i9 or an AMD Ryzen in the next 1-2 months. An upgrade is long overdue now. 🙂 Thanks for your NIC suggestions.

@Chip I don't have TSBB connection, so cant comment on the IPv6. I commented because of similar PFSense experience.
As far as getting stuff from China.. The way I got it in India is.. Shipped to Dubai at a friend's address. He brought it to India when he traveled, But I stopped using PFSense after a while as it gives me a feeling of unfinished product. The hardware is qotom with J1900 / 8GB RAM / 250GB mSATA. It is lying idle now
Anyone wants to buy it out, I am open to offers 😉😉

There are few netgate distributors in India, check with them in case you decide that path -- Partner Locator

I have used Pfsense for few days before switching back to my trusty RT-AX88U. Cannot fault it now that it’s firmware is stable after 2 years.

1 Gbps Download speed holding up

ERhA8HE.png

My offer was valid on Janmashtami day only. But I am sure they will have Ganesh Chaturthi / Navratri / Diwali offers soon. Have you signed up for WhatsApp offers? They don’t spam you. 1 msg in a month frequency so far.
Can you tell me the number? I would like to receive offers in my locality.

@rizexor
Make sure your mobile number is registered on your account profile. Call their helpline to check. Then you start getting WhatsApp offers. They don’t spam. 1-2 messages in a 2 months. That’s it.

@Chip Sorry to revive the thread.. I was reading somewhere that FreeBSD is single threaded for PPPoE. Maybe that's the reason you could never achieve the 1Gbps speed using PFSense... Can you try some other firewall like IPFire which is linux based

@panks21 actually I got the same result via a direct connection to the PC's LAN port. I connected to TSBB via dial-up PPPoE. It made no difference actually. PPPoE itself has an overhead compared with static IP but this issue should have given me at least 900 Mbps. Funny thing is, the upload speed used to cross 850 frequently but download was always about 500 Mbps. I still haven't been able to wrap my head around the issue.