Upgrading to 1Gbps Plan and Offer (TataSky Broadband)

• Thread starter Thread starter tatyasky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 198
  • Views Views 27,122
Ok, so I spoke to the call centre and they confirmed availability. I told them about the discount they said they could offer 20% I said no, I want 30 because it was given to my friend 😉 They're arranging a call back tomorrow let's see. 😀

Nokia ONT. But I have it under bridge mode. I use Asus RT-AX88U for PPPOe. TBH, Tata Transit is shit. Upload speeds are heavily throttled. Defeats the purpose of Gigabit connection.
Hey, could you please guide me on how you setup the Nokia router in bridge mode?

@Code9988 I was told they cannot switch the Nokia to bridge mode so they gave me a dumb ONT. Oh well, I don't know about the latest batch of routers though.

My Nokia ONT/ONU was put into bridge mode by the engineer who had come to install the connection. So I am on Bridge mode from Day 1.

Ok, so I spoke to the call centre and they confirmed availability. I told them about the discount they said they could offer 20% I said no, I want 30 because it was given to my friend 😉 They're arranging a call back tomorrow let's see. 😀

Actually the discounts are completely random and it would be hard to get them to change because someone else got it. Kinda like lootbox.

@tatyasky so I got an upgrade to 1 Gbps for 3 months as a trial. They gave a 20% upgrade discount and wouldn't budge. The temptation was too strong and I succumbed. 😀

It's a big cost difference from 300 Megs so wanted to do a test drive for a few months before committing to an annual or 6 monthly plan. Anyways, they said it'll take about 24 hours to do the re-configuration. Wonder why. Anyways, I look forward to experiencing 1 Gig for the first time in my life.

You are getting 1Gbps free for 3 months? Haha wtf? Cost per month comes out to ?
(3 + 6 months total cost incl 20% discount) ÷ 9 = ?

BTW it took them more than 24 hrs for me and I had to fire several emails to higher places to get speeds upgraded. The higher tier executive told me that 500 Mbps and 1000 Mbps plans can be only be changed by the backend team as they require special authorisation and multiple verifications.

They upgrade your plan immediately but the backend team takes it’s own sweet time to upgrade your speed and you lose out on 1-2 days on that front. Kinda feels cheated. If I have paid for 1000 Mbps plan, I should get 1000 Mbps from the very second I am on that plan. Roughly ₹80 per day it comes to.

Last edited:
You are getting 1Gbps free for 3 months? Haha wtf? Cost per month comes out to ?
(3 + 6 months total cost incl 20% discount) ÷ 9 = ?
No yaar! Wish I was that lucky. 🙂 As a trial meant I am trying it out at a 20% discount on the list price for 3 months, not 30% as you got as an upgrade gift. 🙂 Hope the plan is upgraded today. They said within 24 hours.

My offer was valid on Janmashtami day only. But I am sure they will have Ganesh Chaturthi / Navratri / Diwali offers soon. Have you signed up for WhatsApp offers? They don’t spam you. 1 msg in a month frequency so far.

So it's been a massive exercise in frustration for me. My speed test doesn't exceed 500 Mbps for some reason while upload hits 870 or thereabouts. Fast dot com reports 650. Working with TSBB support to sort this out. Sent them a stern email and messages on social media.

What router are you using? @Chip

I am using Asus RT-AX88U and had zero issues from the get go. My iPhone 12 reaches 700 Mbps down and 350 Mbps up. That is iPhone 12 limitation as it doesn’t support 160 Mhz channel width on 5 Ghz band. Laptop with Intel AX200 manages 950 Mbps up/down connected to Mesh node. Mesh system is using ethernet backhaul. Desktop with wired ethernet does same 950 up down.

First reboot your Nokia ONU and try different ethernet port if possible.

@tatyasky it's not an issue with the router which runs pfSense. All 4 ports are Gb capable. Even the TSBB guy's laptop wouldnt show 1 Gbps speed when connected to the Nokia's LAN port. 🙂 I don't use wireless to do speed tests. The Nokia ONT has been restarted, reset, re-configured several times to no avail. They also did some "adjustments" at the backend which served no purpose.

Can you download something real world to test speeds? Use a download manager like IDM. Send me a PM for a direct link from Microsoft servers. MS servers or Nvidia servers give best speeds to check the max capability of your connection.

@tatyasky @Sushubh downlload from hetzner - average speed 20 MBps (Megabytes)/sec, peak of 32 MBps for 1-3 seconds