• Thread starter Thread starter bugatti
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,607

bugatti

Regular
ISP
bsnl
View attachment 123In my last post I stated that I was getting speeds above 400k sustained. On 8th or 9th of april, my connection was very slow(15kb/s) in the morning.

In the afternoon the problem cleared up(whatever it was) and since then my speed has gone up quite a bit. For the first time the d/l speed was touching 1 mbit. The highest speed I've gotten is about 1.5mbit and as usual when I'm d/ling 4-5 files at a time, the sustained speed now is 500-800k. 2-3 days back I tried to see how much I could d/l in 24 hours but there was a power failure so I tried it again yesterday.

I changed my d/l manager from getright to lightning download( http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...htning+download ) and that seems to have helped. I'm pretty impressed with my connection.

you freak leave some bandwidth for me!!!

I'm guessing the comment is in jest but either ways, if you don't use your bandwidth, that's not my problem. 😉

yep, most people will think its an attack if i dont put one of those annoying smilies/emoticons 😎but i AM trying to use my bandwidth and i get the error dialog "error 935: bugatti hogging all your bandwidth"!

Nothing but madness.You guys should give yourselves some time and not sit on the PC for the whole day !

download happens inspite of the fact that i sit on the pc or not.

well i have personally outgrown my downloading habits. but when i have to take backups... i do it when i am sleeping 🙂

I have an even higher speed connection (probably 1 MBps or more) at my workplace. The problem is that they have blocked all the ports except http and mail. So MIRC or peer to peer clients can't be connected. Here all these are open and I can download to my heart's content. Realistically, all u get thru http are demo softwares, which u get in the magazine CDs as well. The real things are thru IRC and s/w like kazaa/edonkey etc. But u do have to sit at the comp. to search - that takes a lot of time and I've got numbness on the tip of my finger and pain in the wrist from clicking the mouse 🙁 . I actually kept the computer on (and downloading) the whole night for several nights this month. The problem is that if the net gets disconnected (happens sometimes in broadband too), the time and electricity is wasted. So I set it to redial automatically once connection is snapped. I keep the monitor off though.

Where did you get the idea that I am sitting at my computer the whole day watching this stuff d/ling? Your wholly mistaken dude.

I schedule my daily d/ls in the morning or night and let the d/l manager do the rest. If there is a disconnection, it restarts automatically once the connection is restored.

This d/l test was not a guide for people who d/l 100-300MB a day. Many people are getting bsnl connections for their office, working from home(telecommuting, VPN). Being able to transfer _large_ amounts of data is quite important. This test was for the speed and reliability of the connection.

And if I can't post the tests on this forum, am I going to post them on the star plus forum(not sure if one exists though)?

Originally posted by agnivo007@Apr 18 2005, 10:20 AM
Nothing but madness.
You guys should give yourselves some time and not sit on the PC for the whole day ![snapback]8150[/snapback]
[/quote]

hulo- I would consider the bsnl connection much better than other isps. You probably need to check your connection once in 4-6 hours when d/ling files from irc because many chans in irc kick you out if you use a download plugin.

My computer uses only 60 watts at peak and 25-30 watts at idle so electricity isn't a issue.
About 4 years back, I had a bot on irc and the only time the computer would go offline(once in about 3 days) was during rebooting. I haven't used kazaa, edonkey etc seriously for 3-4 years. If I need a file and it isn't on irc, chances are I won't really find anyways.

Your fingers and wrists hurt only when your elbow is below/above your mouse and keyboard. Keep the keyboard, mouse and elbows at the same level, it will stop hurting. I had the same problem for a few months 6-7 years back.

Which s/w did you use to keep a track of usage of Internet.I may require one to check my usage and compare to what BSNL would bill me or even what they bill my Dad's connection.

Originally posted by bugatti@Apr 18 2005, 11:03 PM
If I need a file and it isn't on irc, chances are I won't really find anyways.
[snapback]8187[/snapback]
[/quote]
How do u search on IRC? do u use search engines like ircspy etc ?

The s/w is du meter.I have used 3-4 irc search engines. I'm forgetting the name of the first one(it wasn't too good anyways), xgoogle.org(closed down after google's crackdown), ircspy and for torrents, link-removed.ircspy was good 1-2 years back but its index seems to be quite outdated and can't find much over there. Over the past 4 years I have made a txt file of the irc servers and the kinds of files they are good at serving. Only about 40 % of the channels I knew 3-4 years back are still going strong, the rest have closed, moved from one network to another or just declined because the content they are offering is not interesting. So I try to find some good chans too when I need stuff.