Unreliable wifi connection

ISP
ACT
Hi,

I've been using, or more accurately not using, ACT Fibernet for a month now. From the day I got the connection, I've been facing one issue after the other. I haven't got much support from the ACT technicians or call center so I'm trying to resolve my present issue with the help of this group. I'm using a Beam wifi router that came along with the connection. I am able to connect to the net while plugging in the cable directly to my laptop. However, when I try to connect through wifi, it connects sometimes and at other times it's really slow and doesn't connect at all. The wifi router has been configured to login automatically to the act portal. Any suggestions?

The router channel setting is probably set to 'Auto'. Change it to 1 or 6 or 11. Let us know if this works.

Thanks. This seems to have resolved the issue. I'm able to connect through wifi now. Normally I see that wifi does not connect in the mornings so I can be sure tomorrow.

I tried with channels 1, 6 and 11. It works for some hours and then gets slow again. When I reset the channel it works again. Are there any other settings that should be changed?

A technician finally came 5 minutes ago and checked the connection and configuration. He said there was a loose connection to the box where the connection comes from (it's a new box set outside our house and currently we're the only ones using it). He said he's fixed the issue. Hope it's really fixed.

If there was a loose connection, then you would not have been able to connect even when you connected the cable from the router to the laptop. Or did you bypass the router entirely when you plugged it in?
Anyway, if it's working now, then that's that.

It was plugged in through the router itself earlier. No, it's not working perfectly yet. This morning, it was very slow again. Even the google home page was not rendering. Once I'm home, I'll attach a screenshot of the wifi router settings. It would be helpful if anybody could verify that it's all fine.

Let's first see if we can trace it out.
It could be the laptop or the router or another item. When connected to the router via a cable today, did you have any issues? If yes, then something is up with the router, or the port.

So, there seems to be a problem with the ethernet cable or the router. Try another cable. If it does not fix it, then it's the router. Ask them to replace it for free.
Or get your own router. Feel free to look around on the forum for suggestions.

If the laptop is connected to the router via an ethernet cable & you're still having issues only in the morning sessions, then it's an interesting problem. Check if there is a time based QOS setting in your router. It needs to be disabled.

I got the cheapest router I could get my hands on - Rs. 520. Works for my needs. Your needs will differ, so choose well.