Unlocked devices and wireless broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter HisaoNakai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,537
Good day, fellow sufferers of India's (admittedly gradually improving) internet situation.

I've been looking to get WiFi connection for my place, and am somewhat green with wireless terms, so please correct me on anything I get wrong.

MTS seems to have a 3G+ WiFi service, and I wondered if I could just buy a generic wireless router to access it. However, the customer service says - no, you can't. You have to buy the vendor-locked device to use it.

This crap comes as a shocker. It's nearly daylight thuggery institutionalized (and I told the CS rep. as much, for whatever it was worth).

Are all ISPs running a similar racket today?
Your thoughts on this?

If they are, this really sounds like fertile ground for consumer court litigation...

Well. You can always buy an unlocked dongle and plug it into a router. Not sure about MTS, but tata allows use connect to their photon max network even if using an unlocked dongle.

Thank you for your response, x720.

I got the bit about Tata, but not the first bit. If an ISP blocks generic devices in favor of their own ISP-locked ones, how would using a generic USB modem through a router help? o.o'

I'm considering using a wireless router in conjunction with a wired connection, perhaps from Spectranet. If I understand correctly, that'll give me WiFi access at my place, sharing the wired connection wirelessly with any WiFi-capable device.

Incidentally, your signature mentions a 'better broadband forum', but the link leads back here. Troll attempt or signature copypasta fail? 😉

Even i am looking for a 3g dongle, mts sounds to be the cheap one in delhi wuth 30gb@999