United Voters of India

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Cool concept. Not sure if it is against the constitution!

United Voters Of India

There are two requirements for becoming a member. First, the member solemnly agrees to vote at elections, and second, the member agrees to vote for the party or candidate that the association collectively decides to support.

As an example, imagine that there are 1000 members of UVI are voters in a state assembly level election. The contestants from five political parties for that assembly seat at Anand, Gita, Chandan, Deepak, and Enakshi. The 1000 members are requested to vote their preference over the web. The members are given all the information available about the candidates and they evaluate them on the basis of how likely the candidates are to support the principles that the association stands for. Let’s imagine that 700 members actually vote in the primary, and the outcome is that Gita gets the most votes. After this, all 1000 members are informed that Gita has won the primary and therefore all 1000 of them must vote for Gita on election day. In other words, the 1000 members vote as a bloc.

bhagwad

ISP
Reliance
There's no reason why this should be against the Constitution. People in all walks of life can unionize. Why not voters too in order to make sure our interests are represented.But it's only for Maharashtra so far...gotta wait for it to come to TN as well.

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
yeap. this is a good way out to take on the political goons. but of course... it would probably not work well in a larger area. but something has to be started from somewhere!

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
ISP
Reliance Wired Line
I need my Voter's ID for that! :O The efficient Babus r not even making 1 damn Voter ID for me since months!

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
ISP
Reliance Wired Line
Here they had set up special counters that were "Working" on public holidays as well, in October. Its a different fact that hardly few such special centres were functioning. But finally i got to submit my application. They told me to check the list in December 2nd week. I called them up in December 2nd week & they say "October ki application ka registration chal raha hai. February mein aana".When i asked "Ab tak kya kiya fir? Mujhe to December kaha tha?" The female on the other end just banged the phone.

IndianMascot

Addicts
ISP
Reliance, Tata Photon + , MTNL 3G Jadoo
There's no reason why this should be against the Constitution. People in all walks of life can unionize. Why not voters too in order to make sure our interests are represented.

But it's only for Maharashtra so far...gotta wait for it to come to TN as well.

offtopic: :iomg: you made your 1st post after 3 years of joining IBF :Smoking:

solariiknight

Regular
ISP
BSNL broadband, Aircel 3G.
I may be wrong, but I think you might get rapped by the EC.. Team Anna are deciding to ask people to boycott congre$$ .. EC issued a statement telling that they keeping an eye on Team Anna. According to them, asking people to boycott a particular party is not illegal, but influencing people to vote for one particular party is illegal and against the constitution.

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
ISP
Reliance Wired Line
So may be if thats right, then this kind of initiative cud become illegal, but not Team Anna's call......they r just asking to boycott a party, as against influencing in favor of a particular party.

bhagwad

ISP
Reliance
I may be wrong, but I think you might get rapped by the EC.. Team Anna are deciding to ask people to boycott congre$$ .. EC issued a statement telling that they keeping an eye on Team Anna. According to them, asking people to boycott a particular party is not illegal, but influencing people to vote for one particular party is illegal and against the constitution.

That would be a problematic interpretation. It means that no one could recommend a particular party to another. No husband or wife could influence the other to vote for a particular party by debating - no two friends can argue about which party is better...

If indeed such is the interpretation by the EC, I'd like to see this stand up in a court of law :)

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
ISP
Reliance Wired Line
Well the Congress/UPA have simplified ur choices to a huge xtent. U just have to ensure that u dont give vote to Congress or any other ally of it! U have done ur duty to the nation & its citizens!

solariiknight

Regular
ISP
BSNL broadband, Aircel 3G.
That would be a problematic interpretation. It means that no one could recommend a particular party to another. No husband or wife could influence the other to vote for a particular party by debating - no two friends can argue about which party is better...

If indeed such is the interpretation by the EC, I'd like to see this stand up in a court of law :)

May be the law exists to prevent religious groups, panchayats, NGOs and other diasporas from being bought out by politicians.. on an individual level, freedom exists to influence others, no doubt :)

----------

Am gonna cast my first vote next year :)

But am confused . .what happens if every idiot contesting is a corrupt ******* ? :eek:

every idiot contesting is corrupt... just have to see who's less corrupt :p ...

Even if IAC fails, I hope that it does make people more aware of the levels of corruption and encourage non-corrupt politicians