Unintended Excessive Bandwidth Utilisation

payhsaknurav

So the Problem goes like this:When I connect to the net on my windows xp professional sp1 machine it happens so that the packets sent as viewed from the connection status (the blinking monitors in the system tray) rise very rapidly, as fast as consuming about 1 MB in about 2 mins. The real pain is that i am not doing any net related work at the time this happens.Just connected and no browsing or downloading. I have checked the utilisation on the site and it complies with the problem, moreover due to excessive unintended uploading (if i cud say so) the speed of browsing really suffers.What all i have tried:1) Scanned my pc with Kaspersky, Nod 32, Bitdefender and removed the infections that were found.2) Scanned for spyware using Ad Aware and Spybot and all clean.3) Theres no suspicious process in the task manager when this is happening.(verified using processlibrary.com)4) Have ZoneAlarm installed.5) Most importantly contacted BSNL people who after so much effort at last agreed to believe me(as if it was amusing for me to visit their office time and again) ,came to look into the matter and directly said on my face that even they dont know what the problem is.This is such a strange problem that i dont know what to do further.Kindly suggest some possible way outs...

Try the following:Try on any other computer and see if excessive uploading occurs on that computer also.Block all connections using Zone Alarm.Update all your virus and spyware definitions and then scan.If these don't help, then maybe you need to reinstall your OS.

the same thing happened for me too.I turnrd off the automatic updates of all the programs including windows update and it solved the problem.hope it works for you too 🙂 . maybe you should change ur login password for dataone .As u have plan 500 u can update all the programs at night unlimited period 2AM - 8AM.

its either an infection or windoze update running in the background! 🙂

QUOTE(max @ Oct 28 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]66960[/snapback]
its either an infection or windoze update running in the background! 🙂
[/b]

Maybe viruses getting updated automatically.....

The culprit here is Windows Update for sure. Because even i went through the same problem and after i turned off the automatic updates the problem was solved. Try it...🙂

windows update would show an icon in the taskbar. better is to let it alert you when the updates are available and then allow it to download whenever you think it's the right time.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 28 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]66968[/snapback]
windows update would show an icon in the taskbar. better is to let it alert you when the updates are available and then allow it to download whenever you think it's the right time.
[/b]

Better still, disable windows update. Download Autopatcher on a monthly basis. Apply updates, by selecting only the relevant ones.

autopatcher is fine for the first time update. after that windows update tends to be a smoother way to keep the system uptodate. just make sure you do not end up installing the authentication crap.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 28 2006, 11:20 PM) [snapback]66989[/snapback]
autopatcher is fine for the first time update. after that windows update tends to be a smoother way to keep the system uptodate. just make sure you do not end up installing the authentication crap.
[/b]

But windows update REQUIRES that Validation crap right?
Then how are you gonna do it?

if you are smart enough to know that there is something like autopatcher available on the interweb, you would know ways to bypass that crap.

Automatic updates are disabled.Think better try with another machine to see if problem persists else wud go for reintsall.