Uninor shutting down in Mumbai tonight

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 5,994
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next would be MTS I guess.

too bad,they had such a nice prepaid capture strategy laid for a market like india..thanks to DB group,their services are out in mumbai where they were doing good

Next would be MTS I guess.

yes,shyam mehrotra seems unconcerned.i only read how mts russia working hard to avoid it

Major telecom operators go all out to woo Uninor users in Mumbai - The Economic Times

Norway-based Telenor's 1.8 million Mumbai customers are being wooed by all major telecom operators in the country after the company, which operates under the Uninor brand, shuts operations overnight in accordance with a Supreme Court order.

Uninor customers with outstanding balances for services are left in the lurch as the network has been switched off. Uninor has so far not devised any plan to help resolve balance or network transfer issues for these customers.

Also, the company is unable to help customers port out of its network either, said a company spokesman.

However, competing companies are going all out to win these customers. New service offers, shorter activation cycles and new local advertisement campaigns are being rolled out by companies like Vodafone India, Bharti AirtelBSE -2.15 % and Reliance CommunicationsBSE 1.95 % to woo these customers.

Uninor's average monthly revenue per user (ARPU) for all its operations in India was around Rs 110. In Mumbai, companies estimate consumption would be higher than other parts of the country.
More importantly, since Uninor only offered services on 2G technology, these customers are users of pure voice and SMS services, not data services. "It is a good opportunity to see if we can convert some of them into data users and get even more ARPU," said an executive with a competitor.

Reliance Communications said: "We are keenly looking forward to the opportunity and are putting together a host of compelling initiatives and propositions to seamlessly connect Uninor's customers to our network." The company has created a special outreach programme for quick transition process through mobile number portability.

"As 3G will be an additional benefit when these customers join our network, we will be looking at acquiring serious customers with mid to high data usage through campaigns at distribution and retail levels and ensure that our new customers get a taste of RCOM's best-in-class 2G and 3G networks," the company's spokesman said in an e-mailed statement.

Airtel is working on two special service plans, designed especially for these Uninor customers, to be launched in the next couple of days. "Airtel welcomes all customers who are facing disruption in service from their current operator. Our customer touch points and back-end support machinery are geared to meet the rise in demand. Post-document authentication, customers can be now reconnected into our network within 4-6 hours. Special welcome offers are also available across Mumbai.

We are confident that customers will see value in our special offers, exciting data packages and superior network presence," said an emailed statement from India's largest telecom operator by subscribers.

Vodafone, that counts Mumbai as its stronghold said, "Every customer is valuable to us irrespective of the ARPU they may generate for our company. We welcome onboard new users to our family for an enriching Vodafone experience. ARPU is dynamic and matures as the age on network of a customer increases and should not be considered as a criteria to invite the customers to join Vodafone Family."

Major telecom operators go all out to woo Uninor users in Mumbai - The Economic Times

BTW there is advert by Uninor in one of newspaper in my city, where they have mentioned that Uninor has license in our circle for 20 years. How is that possible? I thought all Uninor licenses were cancelled.

adding link of that advert and epaper - http://epaper.esakal.com/Sakal/19Feb2013/Enlarge/PuneCity/index.htm

i think they purchased spectrum in a recent sale. i guess they were not able to buy it for mumbai?

well telenor has no plans to exit india so i am guessing it was just a front company to buy spectrum? like reliance did with that infotel company?

telewings o my telewings!it was my first job..not short of words to curse them 🙂 i left their job and look where they went 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.