• Thread starter Thread starter VivR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 10,623

VivR

searcher
ISP
Airtel, MTNL and Reliance
Before i begin how one will be cheated by Tata Sky if one upgrade to TATA SKY PLUS HD, i want to ask those who have upgraded to TATA SKY PLUS HD (since i have not upgraded mine yet) :

Have the TATA SKY engineer who came to install the HD box, has taken away the existing box or left it to you only?

In any case, here are the issues :

1) While we paid Rs. 8,999 for TATA SKY PLUS, why they are charing only Rs. 3,999 (which is less than half) for something which has 5 times higher capacity hard-disk and is HD capable? It should be double not half. It means Rs. 9000 charged to tata sky plus customer was extremely exorbitant, absolutely disproportionate and therefore, highly unfair.

2) How come they have the audacity to say that for both new and old customers the prices will be the same for Tata Sky plus HD? That means are those who are loyal customers since many months or even years and have invested upto Rs. 9000 in tata sky plus, Tata Sky or Tata sky HD are of no value to them? They have not become as same as a new customer as soon as they want to upgrade from tata sky or tata sky HD or tata sky plus to tata sky plus HD?

3) How can they take away the existing box for free which the customer have paid upto Rs. 9000 for (if they are taking it away with them) OR, what is their explanation of what we should do with those existing boxes (if they are leaving it to us) - Should we just throw it to the dustbin or should be reverse engineer it by tearing it apart? Will it make a good brand value to their own product?

Though it is exciting to know that Tata Sky has finally launched HD with PVR, but with such hypocrisy and unfair practice they are leaving good reasons for the consumers to do something about it.

Back in 1999 my friend bought a CD Writer(for business) for Rs.20000. Few days back i bought a DVD writer for just Rs.850. Similarly a Blu-ray writer is out of reach now. I will buy that only when it is

Tata Sky launched with Rs.3500 (with 50+ channels) , now its available @ Rs.999 with more than double channels. So per your logic, they should have charged you even more for your Tata sky plus itself 😛 compared to those who bought at launch time.

^^ I Agree.However why did they take your old PVR away? They left mine behind. Even my original SD STB is still with me.

Back in 1999 my friend bought a CD Writer(for business) for Rs.20000. Few days back i bought a DVD writer for just Rs.850. Similarly a Blu-ray writer is out of reach now. I will buy that only when it is

I agree with the above points though , they should not take away the old PVR. And also, be willing to atleast take it back at some cost & use it to replace damaged PVRs at other customers' places

^^ I Agree.

However why did they take your old PVR away? They left mine behind. Even my original SD STB is still with me.

I have not ordered Tata Sky Plus HD so they have not taken anything away (I am sorry as i have not cleared it in my 1st post).

They have introduced a NEW service which requires NEW hardware. They have been able to bring down the prices for everyones benefit. Good! No way can you deduce that the previous version was therefore useless ... it wasn't, and isn't because it did everything it was designed to do - and continues to do so... right? What would you rather have - two seperate recorders - one for SD and one for HD for it to look like 'value'? IN which case you would have had to maintain and pay for both! Technology is almost always backward compatible, and for a good reason! YOu have a car - you now want to upgrade to the newer model. How can you insist that 1. they value the new offering based on what their previous one was sold at? 2. that they buy back old ones.Please understand - exchange schemes offered by any company is THEIR choice - NOT YOUR RIGHT! Technology prices depreciate almost at 50% per year! Hell even our IT dept allows you to depreciate that much on Electronics! I bought an Intel 8100 CPU three years back. How much do you think its worth today? Can I use the same logic if I want to buy their latest CPU today?Remember - No one held a gun to our heads then, and no one is holding a gun to our heads now.

Agreed. That is why I said some cost - what I meant was at a cost where it will still be beneficial for both parties - especially since they refused to bring in a common platform for STB (which was supposed to be mandated) , which would have atleast allowed customers to switch and/or sell their older boxes more easier than it would be now.

Selling old boxes will still be possible. I am sure there are a lot of ppl who do not want to take a HD connection. But again - with the new box priced at 3999/- how much do would you pay for an old one?I feel to insist that a company take back their old products is downright silly! Funnily enough - if you go by the TS agreement - they apparently can take away the hardware at anytime of their choosing! I dont know if this will hold in the courts - but that is what is says in writing - and thats what we all signed!

DTH India - Tata Sky Faq's

Can a subscriber transfer the ownership of the box to someone else?

Effective 30 December, 2010 the Transfer of Ownership facility has been withdrawn. In case of discontinuation of services on subscriber’s request, the subscriber will not be allowed to transfer the digicomp/connection to anybody else.
The subscriber’s account will stand cancelled. Remaining account balance, if any, shall stand forfeited.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

😗😗😗😗😗

well TS gets criticism even if they price their boxes low..... amazing ...In a world of changing lifestyles be prepared to keep any item not more than 2 years except land and gold(even wives are changed by some after 2 years)...so whats the big deal abt a set top box...

well TS gets criticism even if they price their boxes low..... amazing ...In a world of changing lifestyles be prepared to keep any item not more than 2 years except land and gold(even wives are changed by some after 2 years)...so whats the big deal abt a set top box...

:rofl:

They have introduced a NEW service which requires NEW hardware.

May be but where is the proof!

YOu have a car - you now want to upgrade to the newer model. How can you insist that

1. they value the new offering based on what their previous one was sold at?
2. that they buy back old ones.

They do buy old ones sometimes or at least can surely arrange for it through some third party. Also it is a mismatched example, because you may have two cars and you can use both at different times, but having two sets are pointless if the newer one is having every thing which the older set is having plus extra features.

Remember - No one held a gun to our heads then, and no one is holding a gun to our heads now.

Yes! Neither Tata Sky is holding gun on me nor vice versa, but, if not legally, it is both commercially and ethically wrong not to give some options (e.g., exchange offer) to their customers who have bought the sets 1, 2 or even 6 months back and are willing to upgrade it to their new offering of HD PVR.

On one hand you (Tata Sky) say - hey, you cannot transfer it to anyone else - and it is locked so you cannot sell it also - on the other hand you compare it with car and computer accessories. Tell me any car or any electronic gadgets or computer parts which get so much outdated in just six month that it becomes so worthless that you cannot sell it for any money at all