Unfair practice being carried out by TATA SKY

• Thread starter Thread starter VivR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 10,624
"Tata Sky is bearing the loss" ------ what? You know, it's funny now... If Tata will bear losses they will not be here where it is today.

Well, every company has a gestation period. Before they enter the business, they always calculate and are aware of the potential losses in the years ahead. To get a DTH license, they have paid 1000s of crores. Add to that the various costs such as satellite transmission, subscriber acquisition, branding, licensing, installation and last but not the least, taxes such as entertainment tax.

Tata Sky can afford to bear losses for some years. That's because DTH is somewhat similar to Telecom business. It requires huge amount of capital expenditure and the recovery is slow. Thanks to competition from Anil Ambani's Reliance Digital, Zee's Dish TV, Sunil Mittal's Airtel, Dhoot's Videocon & Maran's Sun DTH.

By the way, you are dealing with Ratan Tata and Rupert Murdoch. They are huge Business Conglomerates and can afford to experience losses, hoping that someday revenue per user will be better and hope to earn profits too.

Another example: Zee was the only profit making channel in the Hindi General Entertainment Channel (GEC) space. Yet Star TV continued to run channels despite losses, due to parent company News Corporation's deep pockets. News Corp is owned by Rupert Murdoch. They localised their content in their Indian beam and thus channels like Channel V and their flagship channel Star Plus had to switch to Hindi and launched KBC. This re-launched Amitabh's career and put Star Plus as the No 1 Channel. Of course, now Colors apparently is No. 1 GEC and Star Plus No 2, I guess.

None of the DTH companies are making good profits or are experiencing losses. Publicly listed Zee's Dish TV is one of them. Take a look at their Year on Year Annual Report.

You can't expect profits from the first year or few years now, simply because the industry faces intense competition and high capital expenditure. They have to keep up with the competition. When Tata Sky launched TS+ and Tata Sky HD, Reliance launched their HD PVR at a much reduced price. Perhaps now they are turning the tables, by pricing their HD+ at Rs 3999. Its value for money. I am fully aware that soon or maybe few months from now, the Rs 3999 would be reduced than ever.

But that's competition and of course, technology made affordable 🙂

I think we all agree on most points to a certain level, but we have all used different choice of words across this thread

To summarize
Ethically/morally - they should allow resale or upgrade or transfer facilities - and we all agree on that

A device which has lesser features sold recently at a much higerr price -
kb10000 & myself agree , that they have a right to price based on their cost & other business dynamics (like word cup & HD launched recently)
VivR - disagrees and feels unfair

Somehow missed this post. But yes very rightly summarized most of the points. Thanks!

It is pity for me that so far i am unable to logically prove some of the points. But it's ok. Thank you all for your thoughts!

Maybe if someone from Tata Sky visit this post, our points, discussions and issues raised here, may cater to provide the reasons for some changes in their strategies in recent or future upgrades / products.

For me, i am not going to throw away my Plus box which i purchased paying 9,000 and which i purchased just a little more than 6 months ago and therefore, it is new - at least for me. I understand that it will be totally MY loss as i won't be able to watch and record some of the channels in HD even though i can afford to pay Rs. 4,000 now. And I also understand that it will not move a single hair of Tata sky if one of their customers is not succumbing to their strategies, but at the end of the day i will be happy that at least i stood by what i felt is wrong.

Somehow missed this post. But yes very rightly summarized most of the points. Thanks!

It is pity for me that so far i am unable to logically prove some of the points. But it's ok. Thank you all for your thoughts!

Maybe if someone from Tata Sky visit this post, our points, discussions and issues raised here, may cater to provide the reasons for some changes in their strategies in recent or future upgrades / products.

For me, i am not going to throw away my Plus box which i purchased paying 9,000 and which i purchased just a little more than 6 months ago and therefore, it is new - at least for me. I understand that it will be totally MY loss as i won't be able to watch and record some of the channels in HD even though i can afford to pay Rs. 4,000 now. And I also understand that it will not move a single hair of Tata sky if one of their customers is not succumbing to their strategies, but at the end of the day i will be happy that at least i stood by what i felt is wrong.

I paid 6000/- for Tatasky+ box, more than one year back.
Big HD PVR still cost 5999/-
Its a great offer from tatasky (3999/- for HD PVR).

Contact the engineer and get back the legacy box. There is no exchange offer going on. "Engineer" who came for installation at my place also asked for the box (regular HD). I declined and asked him to call and confirm with senior. He did and didn't ask for one afterwards.As far as price is concerned. It is driven by market forces. Early adapters like you and me should better learn to live with it. Get on with life. There are much better things to do than rue about Tata Sky's policy.

Contact the engineer and get back the legacy box.
I have not opted for Tata Sky plus HD so no one has taken away any box from me 🙂

Several hours ago I have clarified about it in my previous posts including the 1st one.

Get on with life. There are much better things to do than rue about tata sky's policy.

Yes sir! 🙂 By the way rue and enigma seem to be parts of your name though 🙂

I'm sure you already know how the corporate world functions. Tata Sky introduced the PVR when no one else did in the market. And hence the 'As you Like It' price. But remember when the hd boxes were being launched. The prices had to be competitive as almost all STB providers were introducing it. Now since there already is a HD PVR in the market ( Reliance ), tata sky has no choice but to charge a fair price. Don't expect them to take back any box. Its waste for them. Get rid of it by gifting it to someone. I was one of the first few to buy the PVR in Bangalore and now i've also picked up the HD PVR. The old PVR I have shifted to my brothers room.

For me, i am not going to throw away my Plus box which i purchased paying 9,000 and which i purchased just a little more than 6 months ago and therefore, it is new - at least for me.

Dude I have TS for close to an year now . At that time TS+ was available at 6000 for new connections and 5.5k for exchange with some couple of months free.

I paid 6000/- for Tata Sky+ box, more than one year back.
Big HD PVR still cost 5999/-
Its a great offer from tatasky (3999/- for HD PVR).
Dude I have TS for close to an year now . At that time TS+ was available at 6000 for new connections and 5.5k for exchange with some couple of months free.

Yes, i searched and found out the receipt. It is indeed more than a year now... but i did spend Rs. 8,999. It may be that unfortunately for me TS has decreased the price soon after i bought the Tata Sky plus at 9k.

Get a grip guys... Technology pricing is never logical... luckily we have no monopolies and if some1's not happy they can switch to other providers...btw, i sold my TS+ to the engineer for 1500... he mentioned that one of the engineers was buying it from all those who got HD+ installed and collecting it to be forwarded to the company (for what i don't know)... altho' all this is obviously "unofficial".... the 1500 rate was something i had to negotiate for as he was insisting on 1000

TS+ acquisition cost was Rs. 9000 and this included one year mega pack when it was launched. The breakup was 5000 (box) + 4000 (mega). Otherwise it was 6000 with other packages.

I have not opted for Tata Sky plus HD so no one has taken away any box from me 🙂

Several hours ago I have clarified about it in my previous posts including the 1st one.

Yes sir! 🙂 By the way rue and enigma seem to be parts of your name though 🙂

:rofl: never thought of that while registering. BTW for me its not about 'rue'ing things in life. It goes back to my favorite band 'Enigma'.

lets face it most of us who bought it now are happy and those are very happy who have previously not bought the SD + because they are getting something very good at a very cheap price and lets face it we all have been at the wrong end of this companies policies from time to time and it would be better that we have some kind of mechanism that we are not looted under one pretext or other, my case being that when Tata Sky had just launched i paid 4000 for a normal STB & yet today i was able to get something very advanced at the same pricenow here is something that we all should know, videocon was ready to bring in their HD PVR with 160 gb for Rs 6490 , :rofl: and now there is no news of it once tata sky launched theirs with better specification and almost half the price. so at least one can say one of few moments where consumers are winners

Guys!

Because they have kept the price a bit lower this time and because HD with PVR is a new thing and people are more in the mood of celebrating it along with the ongoing WC, rather than seeing what could be valid in my arguments, i would like to give up here.

But before i leave, let me tell you one thing - if we do not see anything wrong in this move Tata Sky has taken - then the time is not very far when they will come up with another feature - say, downloading contents directly in your PVR or surfing the web on TV through the PVR through the internet you already have at your home or office - but wait! - Tata sky will announce - you have to purchase another box @ Rs. 3999 or Rs. 4999 - why so? - because the current box is not compatible because they have not put the WAN card in it (so that you can surf or download wirelessly through wi-fi) or even not through the already available ethernet port in it because it has become outdated by now or there is some technical glitch.

Ok Tata sky - no problem - we are new generation folks and we understand that the things get outdated just even in six months - so we will buy a new box, we will pay another 4000 rupees and we will also throw away the existing box which we paid Rs. 3,999 for and we will accept that is absolutely worthless in six month as far as the new features are concerned.

And as soon as the whole customer base of Tata sky plus settled down to enjoy with another new box, voila! they have a new feature - you can plug your 20 GB USB pen drive directly in the STB and can play all the music, photos and videos therein and open and read documents - word, excel or pdf - as well as - you can send them attached through email if you wish to anyone you want. Also, the user interface is super cool this time, more user friendly, more intuitive. Do you want it? - yes, yes of course! - i do want it i send a lot of emails or it is cool to be able to play media of my own choice on my LCD just by inserting by USB pen into it..... Hey! But wait... the existing USB port is not compatible and the new UI can also not be implemented just through software update... so you have to purchase a new box, and sorry this time it is a bit costly - Rs. 8,999 + 99 paise + taxes. Oh! And what about the existing box we just upgraded just a couple of months ago? Sorry my loyal customers! throw away - that is of no use folks. And no you can not sell it - it is locked and you have signed an agreement for that, and there is also no ownership transfer possible so you can even not gift it.

The problem is here guys!

On us, they do have kept gun... the only thing is you have to see it in long run...

Thanks!
The only solution we have is not to be the first to jump on every new bandwagon that comes along.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

You are not admin for no reason 🙂

BTW I wonder if you know the real reason why he's admin 🙂

I have a suggestion for the Tata Sky company...hopefully someone from a fairly decent decision making level reads this...and this offer can be made only to customers who have TS+ and want to upgrade to TS HD+...instead of having only 500 as the exchange offer, they can use the following...it may go on to show how customer centric the company is...especially towards the ones paid an exhorbitantly high price for a premium service...the minimum cost for anyone to upgrade to HD is 2599(TS HD), so for the TS+ customers, they can make an offer of the same amount...and instead of giving them a 500GB hard disk, they can give them TS HD+ with their existing 160GB hard disks inserted into the new boxes...this way the TS+ customers who must've paid an bomb when they purchased it, retain their stored programs and also get a feeling that TS is highly focused on customer satisfaction...What're your views???