Unable to listen to net radio at decent bitrates!

waterloo_sunset

[OP]
Regulars
Aug 26, 2005
New Delhi
Recently switched to Airtel broadband. I opted for the 128kbps unlimited plan. Now in the daytime i get around 13-14KBps and a steady 26KBPs at night even with the default IE downloader which was a pleasant surprise considering what i'd read here regarding Airtel resorting to 'back-end caching' or something which means u get decent speeds with download managers and p2p apps coz they make multiple connections to servers/peers. But surfing speeds suffer greatly coz of this with pages loading in fits n starts.Now am almost certain that the IE downloader makes a single connection to the server (unless they have patched something in sp2) and therefore the speeds i get with it should be equal to my surfing speeds. But that does not seem to be the case for some strange reason beyond me.With my previous MTNL 256k line i was able to listen to/watch streaming audio/video at 192kbps without any skipping. But now with Airtel when i try listening to stuff at 96kbps even (at night) it skips like crazy and just stops playing for a few secs. Now if am getting a steady 25-26KBps or 26 X 8= 208kbps with the IE downloader, howcome am not able to listen to stuff encoded at less than half the bitrate? With triband i used to listen to radio at 128kbps and still be dowloading at 14-15KBps without any problem. :(

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Jan 21, 2005
Pune
either there is a problem with the route from the radio site to your airtel connection which means this problem (congestion maybe) is long-term or even permanent.or it could be the radio site was serving too many listeners at that time and it might be ok later on.if you are listening on say, WinAmp or something... try going into the settings for the mpeg layer 3 (mp3) input decoder plugin settings and increase the buffer size... if its 64 KB then make it 128 KB or something... the skipping should reduce a bit or go away - although might not help at all if the "skips like crazy and stops for few secs" happens every few seconds

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Jan 21, 2005
Pune
oh, and i forgot to mention:serves you right for deserting a dearest govt isp in favour of a greedy private isp :p(that too downgrading from 256k to 128k)eheheheh

waterloo_sunset

[OP]
Regulars
Aug 26, 2005
New Delhi
Already tried all that.....tried listening to many stations..increasing the buffer...but no luck. The max bitrate which i could manage w/o skipping was 64kbps. Anything higher and there are frequent buffer underruns.

boygr8

Regulars
Regulars
Apr 3, 2005
Speeds on airtel and sify( high speed conns) fluctuate a lot. On sify speedas fluctuate if ur pack is > 256 kbps otherwise notSo u cannot usually listen to or watch streaming content on most indain ISPs

real_india

Regular
Regulars
Nov 30, 2005
Well i am on airtel 256kbps plan and i am writing this reply while listening to 192kbps stream without skipping.

waterloo_sunset

[OP]
Regulars
Aug 26, 2005
New Delhi
Am using winamp.And real_india, that is probably coz ur getting 512kbps at night. So 192kbps is nothin to shout abt. But that is something that i'll have to consider next month....shifting to home999 that is, coz am not able to listen to my fav stations and 64kbps streams sound crappy on my big speakers.