Unable to connect to VPN using DNA-A-211 Modem

dilipkalyan

ISP
BSNL Dataone
I have been using this connection since past 4 months and till date havent been able to connect to office VPN connection yet. I use a DNA-A-211 modem that supports both WAN and LAN. I have a 'always on' configuration, that is, I only need to turn on my modem to connect to the internet and does need to authenticate my userid / password. Each time connect to VPN using Nortel Contivity Client version V04_86.033, I get a message ' Login Failure due to: remote host not responding'. I am however able to ping the destination IP. Another interesting fact is that I am able to connect using a different broadband connection from my friend's place. He use Huawei modem, that requires userdid/password authentication each time and does not support wi-fi. I checked with my office network support team and they did not find any issue with my user account at their end and asked me to get in touch with the ISP. But the BSNL guys were unable to sort it out till now. Any guidance is highly appreciated. :huh:

after connecting to Internet
type in browser address bar
http://192.168.1.1/ppppassword.html
When a window appears
give your VPN ID and password.
Feedback +ve or -ve ( may not work ! just an experiment )
I had a 220 BX modem+ Buffalo wifi router setup earlier and I was using Contivity VPN client myself. I had the modem in bridge mode and in wifi router properties, I had IPSec passthrough selected. You may also need to configure port forwarding for port 500 (used by IPSec key exchange protocol). Also ensure that IPSec service is running on your PC. This is the one that binds to port 500.