unable to connect to internet (ubuntu 7.10)

• Thread starter Thread starter d00by
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 10,442

d00by

Regular
ISP
Airtel 1099 Explorer Unlimited
I am unable to access my wifi in my compaq presario v3228au laptop.

I have no problems when I use Windows XP.

I had problems during installation with wifi thingy. here was the install screen for internet thing

http://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0009eq0.jpg

following is the driver thingy info that ubuntu gives me.

http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0012qu9.jpg

Is this the source of problem? If yes, how do I download it and install it.

I am a Linux virgin, so please be gentle. :redface:

EDIT : I am using AMD 64 ubuntu version.

install the restricted drivers first and thentry to search for bcm43xx-fwcutter in the repos and install it

um the ubuntu forums say that u can get it working straightaway in gutsy gibbon by installing the restricted drivers although ull get around 24 mbps speed instead of 54 mbps , i dont think that should be a problem

sometimes firmware cutter does not recognise latest driver which i needed for my broadcom 4321 model. im on 32-bit tho. for plain english you'll need to search online for the howtos/faqs/wikis for proper details. if you have a brand new model you might need to download and extract windows xp 32 or 64bit drivers to get the .sys and .inf files and then use ndiswrapper instead of fwcutter.. i had to use ndiswrapper to get wifi working on opensuse 🙂

sometimes firmware cutter does not recognise latest driver which i needed for my broadcom 4321 model. im on 32-bit tho. for plain english you'll need to search online for the howtos/faqs/wikis for proper details. if you have a brand new model you might need to download and extract windows xp 32 or 64bit drivers to get the .sys and .inf files and then use ndiswrapper instead of fwcutter.. i had to use ndiswrapper to get wifi working on opensuse 🙂

woah! what was that! 😗

I think this is one of the prime reasons why a normal joe like me stays away from Linux. all this fancy ndiswrapper command stuff makes my head spin! 🙁

I am posting screenshots of what happens when I run that sudo something command for extracting .sys whatever.

I guess it may be giving error is the sys file is ffrom wndows XP 32 bit whereas I am running ubuntu 64 bit!! 😕

http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0017dx8.jpg

@dooby: yes, sadly linux is still for the technically savvy sometimes and you have to do a lot of painful research before getting things to work. if you are not interested in searching around and learning some linux commands then i suggest you stick with windows 😛i consider myself an intermediate level experience at linux setup and still i had to struggle (not by asking too many questions but researching the web/forums etc myself) to get my wifi, compiz etc working... it takes some work and some luck too!im sticking with 32-bit even tho i have a 64 bit cpu on my tablet heh

I am still unable to connect to wifi. 🙁

Here is a screenshot of my network manager.

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotua7.png

Here is the output of terminal window when I tried to extract the 64 bit firmware for broadcom

nirjhar@ubuntu:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/BCMWL564.SYS
[sudo] password for nirjhar:
fwcutter can cut the firmware out of /home/nirjhar/Desktop/BCMWL564.SYS
filename : bcmwl564.sys
version : 3.70.17.5
MD5 : f5590c8784b91dfd9ee092d3040b6e40
extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
*****: Sorry, it's not posible to extract \"bcm43xx_microcode11.fw\".
*****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
*****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.
*****: But this can be added in the future...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval01.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval02.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval03.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval04.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval05.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval06.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval07.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval08.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval09.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval10.fw ...
nirjhar@ubuntu:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` ~/Desktop/BCMWL564.SYS
fwcutter can cut the firmware out of /home/nirjhar/Desktop/BCMWL564.SYS
filename : bcmwl564.sys
version : 3.70.17.5
MD5 : f5590c8784b91dfd9ee092d3040b6e40
extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
*****: Sorry, it's not posible to extract \"bcm43xx_microcode11.fw\".
*****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
*****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.
*****: But this can be added in the future...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval01.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval02.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval03.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval04.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval05.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval06.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval07.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval08.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval09.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval10.fw ...
nirjhar@ubuntu:~$

do you know what is the exact model number of your wifi? post it here pls

why dont you sign up and search/post on the ubuntuforums? i searched, check these out, if they help (not sure if they're just for 32-bit or 64 as well):

bcm4306 ndiswrapper installation guide - Ubuntu Forums

Edgy Broadcom bcm4318 HOWTO! - Ubuntu Forums

and check out the wireless section here:
: LinuxOnHpPaviliontx1000z

and check these out too, just make sure you know the exact model number of your wireless:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4311_rev_01_%28ndiswrapper%29

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff

in a console run "sudo lspci" and see if the wireless info shows up. and first read thru all the links i posted and start experimenting before posting further questions... as they say, no pain, no gain

It is working now. I used ndiswrapper method. There is native support for bcm43xx in ubuntu but it is limiyed to 24 MBPS and it keeps losing wifi every few minutes.The ndiswrapper method is better since it gives 54MBPS support and the wifi is better even than on windows, IMHO.Ubuntu needs a little bit of patience but it's worth the effort.If it were not for some sound issues and iTunes necessity, I would seriously consider using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I am not a gamer so that is not a big thing.Ubuntu rocks. Firefox is opening so much faster and the computer boots faster and seems leaner and great eye candy.I am loin' it.... 🙂

so you got it working, awesome! its sad that we have to dump linux just because one or two particular apps/hardware doesnt work on it 🙁which is why i specifically see if i can use ANY hardware i purchase in linux before buying, be it a mobile phone, mp3 player, digital camera, etc...dooby, have you tried running "wine" and itunes inside it? wine is a windows implementation on linux!