Unable to connect laptop via Wi-Fi

• Thread starter Thread starter anant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,419

anant

ISP
BSNL
I am on 500C using TypeI UT300R2U. I am using a D-Link DIR-300 wireless router for expansion of my network. I am able to browse perfectly well simultaneously both on my desktop (XP SP3) and my Nokia N95 8GB mobile phone. For security of my wireless network, I am using WEP encryption.
I now wanted to add another laptop to the network (model: GATEWAY NV52) running Vista Home. I have configured the wireless adaptor accordingly but am unable to browse the internet 😢 from my laptop. However, I can connect to Skype from my laptop :yahoo: Why is Vista so user-unfriendly ? :wall:
Please help...

----------

I forgot to add that I can browse the internet simultaneously on all three devices when connected through LAN.

I am on 500C using TypeI UT300R2U. I am using a D-Link DIR-300 wireless router for expansion of my network. I am able to browse perfectly well simultaneously both on my desktop (XP SP3) and my Nokia N95 8GB mobile phone. For security of my wireless network, I am using WEP encryption.
I now wanted to add another laptop to the network (model: GATEWAY NV52) running Vista Home. I have configured the wireless adaptor accordingly but am unable to browse the internet 😢 from my laptop. However, I can connect to Skype from my laptop :yahoo: Why is Vista so user-unfriendly ? :wall:
Please help...

If you can use skype that means you are already connected.

Try deleting the current network and then adding it again. I used to do that everytime I had to connect. Saving the network would work just for the first time, I couldn't connect afterwards. If that doesn't work try disabling WEP.

Used Vista for 2 months when it came out and went through similar problems. Shifted to XP after that.

----------

[/COLOR]I forgot to add that I can browse the internet simultaneously on all three devices when connected through LAN.

Three of them? You mean you can connect to the lan with laptop but still are unable to surf or what?

Three of them? You mean you can connect to the lan with laptop but still are unable to surf or what?

Yes, when I connect the lappy through LAN, I can use the internet on all three devices and surf as well.... (mobile through wireless and the PCs through LAN)..

In new laptop (and old laptop later )
( procedure for XP pro sp3or earlier)
Start/Network/WLAN
properties
TCP/IP
properties
Select Obtain IP address automatically.
Apply.Save.

2. Feedback: ( if needed)
Copy/paste for both laptops
Start RUN type cmd Ok
New window
type ipconfig /all
Probably you may have to enable DHCP in your modem.
In.laptop 2 "view available wireless networks"

Does your WIFI link appear ( say "abcd" secure connection )

If Skype worked that means at least the Gateway IP is correct... now just ensure your DNS server IP entries are also correct. You can either select "obtain IP automatically" and dont enter DNS addresses or manually add DNS entries the same as that which displays on your desktop by running "ipconfig /all"