Unable to buy NordVPN subscription

• Thread starter Thread starter panks21
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 6,258
ISP
Airtel Static IP
ACT Broadband
I am trying to buy a new Subscription for NordVPN using credit card. Tried with both HDFC and Citi cards and it fails. Reason below

"Reason for transaction decline is: Effective 1st Oct 2021, the Bank will have to decline all such recurring transactions on cards initiated by merchants non compliant with the new RBI guidelines"

When I used HDFC card, it asked for OTP but didn't succeed. On Citi it didn't even ask for OTP and failed as well with same reason.
Anyone recently purchased a NordVPN please suggest what method worked for you?

You can buy for fixed duration through invoice.

@panks21 try using a Visa card, especially by ICICI if you have one, instead of a Mastercard. They accepted with an OTP.

Paypal is not working. Google Pay also uses credit card here and lands into same issue... I don't have any cryptocurrency
@Chip No ICICI card with me. I used HDFC Visa card.. and it failed with the reason I mentioned above, the OTP was entered but still it was declined and I get ~25 SMS from HDFC asking to secure my card
Citi was a mastercard and it failed too
I am on chat with the support team. Will update the outcome

@mikrotik I am not aware of this fixed invoice option. Please elaborate

Reach out to their support and tell them that you will pay through invoice. They will generate an invoice and send you the payment link. Then you will be able to pay.

@mikrotik -- Thanks.. but the support person didn't know about this option..
They fixed the issue with Paypal. Don't know what was fixed though
I could use the Citi mastercard with paypal and could pay for the service

@panks21 I have a Citi Master and HDFC Visa too and both give me problems with many international payments especially via PayPal which is literally guaranteed to fail each time. They are my least preferred cards. On the other hand, ICICI works smoothly with these international payments.

PS - My Nord subs expires early next year, so I guess your post is a kind of a early warning. Thanks man.

yeah google is of primary concern right now. cousin's apps account would require migration to workspace in coming weeks. he has applied for a hdfc card which i assumed should be widely accepted. need to see it set to autopay so that his company email is not disrupted.

Another heads-up, HDFC is a bit of a screw up with recurring subs to some MSO 365 editions. I always have to manually renew my subs each month. The darned HDFC e-mandate site does not register a recurring payment.

If your cousin can swing it tell him to try getting a ICICI card. For me it works near flawlessly even for international transactions. HDFC and Citi OTOH almost always give problems. 🙁

I hope you know that e-mandates are handled by the third party, which is the same for almost all card processors. The problem could be with how Microsoft implemented it.

Reactions: Smh
Then how come recurring payments work well with ICICI cards but not with HDFC? At the same site. So, it is something at the bank's end for sure.