Unable to add smartbytes! 404

angad_singh

ISP
Airtel
I’ve been using airtel broadband forever. This month my 3333 GB FUP limit got hit due to some cloud backups but i wasnt too worried as i was always able to add smartbytes to carry me over to the next billing cycle.

for the first time ever - the smartbytes page just doesnt open for my account - after logging it goes to a 404 page. Even the airtel thanks app shows a blank page on clicking on “add data” for the broadband account.

called customer care several times - even they arent able to get to the page to add smartbytes to my account (yes they said the “system isnt working”, “i cant open smartbytes option for your account” etc and were clueless!!)

I have tweeted and DM’ed airtel care on twitter but no response!

Source

Has anyone else faced this? What to do?

Changing plan might reset the data usage counter. It is always billed Pro-rata

downgrade to a plan whose speeds works for you. and then upgrade again when the new billing cycle starts.

is downgrade the only option (vs upgrade - as i still have another option one level up- 1gbps). also i called customer care and confirmed 2 things: they say they are discontinuing the smartbytes service for broadband users! can some of you confirm if you too are unable to get to that page now? this is big news.

secondly cc could not confirm if upgrading/downgrading would reset the FUP. although they might be trained not to divulge that info. has it worked for any of you though?

Iirc app allows both downgrade and upgrade. I suggested downgrade because it seems like the logical thing to do because you would have been on that plan already if you needed that much speed.

See unless you are doing downloads/uploads on a regular basis, 1 Gbps is not necessary. You mostly will hit 800-900 Mbps (Not full 1Gbps) provided you have ideal conditions like Router, Cable, Network card, SSD. Also, international servers are capped sometimes and some might not hit full 800 Mbps also.

In normal browsing, you won't see any difference if you drop it to say 200 Mbps. Normal browsing here refers to Streaming Netflix, Downloading files occasionally, Software Updates, YouTube on 4K for TV.
1 Gbps, economically it's not bang for the buck. If you can go for it, I don't see a reason not to but remember the speeds u will get be not full and in most cases is not necessary.

Last edited:
i absolutely agree that 1 gbps isn't necessary. 350 mbps is more than enough. it was just to rollover the FUP.

the question is whether a downgrade or upgrade really resets FUP (and whether only one of them does).

It did at one point of time. Hard to say if it still does. But it's a low risk experiment coz you won't pay anything extra if you downgrade to a slower speed plan for current billing cycle.