Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS)

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 65
  • Views Views 6,979
But, it's being used as a strategy tool, and not in the right sense. Plus, Hawkeye & even hotspot both r proven to be unreliable. Once u rely on tech, it shud b atleast 99.9% accurate. But it's not. It's better to have human errors that more or less cancel out each other, rather than having tech, which doesn't even make mistakes consistently.

I think it should be in place to correct the howlers and the power should be in the hands of umpires.It makes sense.

DRS needs to be there. Anything that can help reduce errors must be there.

You saw the Australian example before. Clarke used it up unnecessarily and Warner & Henriques got howlers showing that the current DRS rules are obviously a joke

I think it should be in place to correct the howlers and the power should be in the hands of umpires.It makes sense.

It wud mean going out of the frying pan & directly walking into fire. A hint of arrogance from the Umpires, and u will have reviews lying totally unused. How different will it be from the cases where the Umpire refuses to go upstairs out of arrogance?

South Africa v Pakistan, 2nd Test, Cape Town, 2nd day : ICC admits error in Kallis dismissal | Cricket News | South Africa v Pakistan | ESPN Cricinfo

The ICC has admitted its Playing Control Team (PCT) made "an honest error" while applying the DRS to the Jacques Kallis review on the second day of the Newlands Test and that the batsman was erroneously given out.

Kallis was given out after an appeal that Pakistan coach Dav Whatmore confirmed was for a bat-pad catch off Saeed Ajmal's bowling. Umpire Steve Davis upheld the appeal but the batsman immediately asked for a review.

Hot Spot replays indicated there was no bat involved, so it couldn't be out caught, but the ball had both pitched and hit Kallis' pad well in line with the stumps and the ball-tracking indicated that it would have clipped leg stump, which was shown to be an umpire's call. As a result, Kallis was instead given out lbw, after input from the third umpire, Billy Bowden.

The playing conditions allow for the method of dismissal to be changed during a review but have specific terms under which that can be done.

Point 3.3 (f) in the playing conditions states: "The third umpire shall not withhold any factual information which may help in the decision making process, even if the information is not directly prompted by the on-field umpire's questions. In particular, in reviewing a dismissal, if the third umpire believes that the batsman may instead be out by any other mode of dismissal, he shall advise the on-field umpire accordingly. The process of consultation described in this paragraph in respect of such other mode of dismissal shall then be conducted as if the batsman has been given not out."

There was another situation early in second innings while SA where chasing and someone tweeted saying the on field call should not be part of the DRS system. I'd vouch for that too cos again luck comes into play. My word this DRS system is just way too complicated! There are more controversies in every game where UDRS is being used.

Random quiz: Who was the first international cricketer to be given out on DRS? Against which bowler? Bonus question (as even this one is related to the 3rd umpire): Who was the first player to be given run out by the 3rd umpire?

Who was the first player to be given run out by the 3rd umpire?

Sachin Tendulkar. I think against South Africa

Correct. And what about the first question? Any guesses?

Imran Nazir???

Wrong.

Meanwhile, another question. Who was the first Indian cricketer to be given out by DRS? Against which team and which bowler?

So now you guys have two questions to answer. 😀