Ubuntu

• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 6,712
Firstly sorry... i called u boygr8 in the last post... !! 🙂Ok so sifyfan.... I got a P4 2.4 n the monitor is LG Studioworks 520Si.The xorg.conf is attached in a previous reply also.Even the graphics n fonts appear a lil choppy.The MP3 playback is not gud after I installed the codecs in Rhythmbox.

And one more thing.... I am using my friends sify account WITH HIS PERMISSION. Now in windows I used Supersify n spoofed the MAC Add to 00-00-00-00-00-00 n this always worked.Now how do I go bout fakin the MAC Add. in Ubuntu.

first thing is you install proper drivers by visiting Intel & your motherboard websites. Those linux drivers for LAN/AUDIO/DISPLAY/CHIPSET . After you install the latest drivers I think you may not have any problems of monitor flickering. Also after installation make it run at 1024 resolution at say 85 Mhz. If the screen moves left /right / just adjust it manually on your monitor to suit you . Also increase decrease the height and width yourself manually with monitor buttons. This change will not impact your winxp settings if your monitor is capable of saving each frequency separately. Most modern monitor have those capablity.

I tried adjusting the vertical n horizontal refresh rates in xorg.confFlickering stopped for a moment after I restrarted... but then it has started again.Currently lookin for the drivers. Will update ASAP.

1. Ubuntu is sort-of poorer - use Kubuntu instead, coz it uses KDE and is easier for new-comers to use.

2. DEB packages do have a GUI sushubh - synaptic, and others.

3. Linspire, since v5.0, is the SAME CD for both liveCD & install.

4. You can change resolution to whatever you want, login as root & run the display configurator from the GNOME launcher (that menu at the left bottom).

5. You can easily mount NTFS partitions in linux anyways, in even read-write mode. As for accessing linux partitions on windows in read-write mode, get this freeware file-system driver - LINK. It allows full access to ext2, ext3, reiserFS & JFS, on win2k & higher.

Hey hi prathapml nice to see you here....Is there any distro which matches or nearly comes upto windows xp standards... I am talking of ease and home computing only.... no server business.?

OK got the graphics driver for my chipsetIts an RPM...It has 2 folders doc n X11R6I open X11R6.. has a folder binI open bin.... it has a file XFCOM_i810Now how do I install the drivers??OK so prathapml... ur tryin to say is that I shud go in 4 Kubuntu rite?? Does it offer the same stuff as Ubuntu... i mean ease of use n all. I had tried RedHat n simply gave up.Is it basically : "Kubuntu = Ubuntu - Gnome +KDE" ??Finally... is it better.... OK i'm used to GUI's... yeah but I really wanna learn... I'm not afraid. So shud I still go in for Kubuntu?? Or Linspire. N as sifyfan said... which distro nearly matches upto XP.

N then it just shows the date.... no info nuthin!
Firefox doesnt open nething.
[/b]

Well, thats how the client is, unfortunately. Its quite buggy, and doesn't display the welcome message properly. If you get the date displayed, you are logged in. It doesn't have the provision of launching the browser, but if you want, you could create a simple shell script which would start sifyd, login, and launch a browser. Post if you want info on that.

N one last thing... if I login to my account frm windows n dont logout... then boot to ubuntu... will my net work??[/b]

Yes, if you are using supersify or something. The official win32 client logs you out if you shut down.

And now, about the resolution ... I am not familiar with the GUI tools used by Gnome, but here is a simple way you can try, which involves editing the file I mentioned. As you need super user access to do this, use sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a console. Back the file up, first.

Add this line in the section "Monitor"

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "StudioWorks"
       Option          "DPMS"
       VertRefresh 50-60
EndSection
[/b]

In the section "screen", change DefaultDepth to 16.

About ubuntu, well its one of the better distributions, and perhaps the most popular one currently. I haven't used it though ... but I would recommend sticking with it, too much distro switching can cause a little confusion 😉 Try mandrake or suse, if you have to.

Now how do I go bout fakin the MAC Add. in Ubuntu.
[/b]

sudo ifconfig eth0 hw class

Replace eth0 with eth1 for second network card and so on ...

making changes in the conf file is orthodox way of installing and it may turn out to be risky for monitors. I suggest you to go with latest drivers and reboot comp each time u load new driver. It may take time but it is safer and little result oriented

LOL editing a config file is orders of magnitude safer than installing a new driver 😉 That said, I really don't see how either of them can cause much damage.Installing a new driver is not normally required unless you require 3d acceleration or other special features. And if you are using GUI tools, what they themselves do is edit the many configuration files which a linux distribution is comprised of. Some find editing config files more convenient, while many others prefer using a GUI 🙂

Originally posted by uthfull@Sep 23 2005, 03:25 PM
Is it basically :
"Kubuntu = Ubuntu - Gnome +KDE" ??[snapback]26073[/snapback]
[/quote]Yup, exactly.
Kubuntu is entirely the same as Ubuntu, in all other ways. And for ease of use, GNOME sucks, KDE rocks. (now this is a relative position - varies from person to person, but for most windows migrants, KDE is better)

And Linspire nicely comes very close to Windows-XP levels (in ease-of-use).
If you want it, PM me with your yahoo or MSN messenger id, and come online - we'll get it for you... legally!

prathapml.... u got the PM??ujjwal.... will try ur solution when I boot to Ubuntu. Right now torrents running in XP. Also.. I tried a similar solution given by u to fake MACs in an earlier thread o Mandrake...(I think).... but when I tried it... it said not valid ether. I had put in 00-00-00-00-00-00. Do I need to put the hyphens??ujjwal, sifyfan, prathapml... ne1..... How do I go bout installing my graphics drivers. I downloaded a RPM archive. Here are the details 😛OST #23Now finally... the problems that still persist despite all my efforts are:1) Faulty ResolutionPOST #152) Fonts & Colors not crisp.3) MAC ID Spoofing4) Sound playback not clear in Rhythmbox5) Flickering of displayProblems solved... mounting of partitions n sharing b/w OSs.

man adjusting the screen through the monitor DID NOT work in 1024x768.I decreased it height n width wise frm there. But then again... even after adjusting.... the full screen wasnt shown. I had to move my mouse to the edges to go further.What I'm saying is... while 800x600 is displayed properly within the limits.. but as soon as I choose 1024x768.... it goes beyond the monitor. The icons or the desktop doesnt get ne smaller lik it shud in going frm 800x600 1024x768. I try n adjust it frm the monitor.....for example I decrease it vertically as much as possible... the whole display shud get crunched... but what I'm telling u is... since in 1024x768 it is already outside... even if I crunch it... it remains outside. Black borders come up above n below the display. But still I have to travel to the edge of the visible area to move further.n the monitors not at all fancy... 15" LG Studioworks 520Si.... quite outdated.

spend some days with linux!! u will know it better... 🙂 for now go with 800 resolution