Ubuntu Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 301
  • Views Views 87,245
yes. it's better for them to let users try ubuntu via wubi though it will run slow but better than not running at all

It does not even run that slow. I mean Ubuntu using Wubi is still massively faster than Windows on most machines. I never really noticed any major difference in my own prolonged usage.
Well. They just lost a casual user. I am in no way experiment installing a regular build of Ubuntu with Windows 8.

Wubi has been included in 13.04 ! So Windows users can be happy about something!
The problem was that Wubi was having trouble with UEFI boot and there was hardly any development on that front. However, now, a group of developers have pitched in with efforts to iron out the troubles and so its been included in Ringtail.
And yes, Wubi is the best way to convert a user from Windows to Ubuntu.
I did that at home and now everyone uses Ubuntu at home.

Ubuntu 14.04 is out today... Would update Fufaji's install when I next go there.

Nishant said:
Did a fresh installation :smile:
Update worked for me. I haven't uninstalled since 10.04 (updated to 10.10 -> 11.04 -> 11.10 -> 12.04 -> 12.10 -> 13.04 -> 13.10 -> 14.04) on Old Toshiba and still works like Charm 😀

Maybe not the right thread & I will be eventually opening a new one. But a quick question - Would people advice Ubuntu 14.04 for someone relatively new to PC world. It has ahem old version of Win XP, but has been known to run Ubuntu 12.04 smoothly as well. If yes, once I got hold of it. I would be getting rid of Windows & doing a clean install of a good Linux version & handing it over.

I installed it on the box I assembled for my fufaji. He was using Windows XP before that. He seems to be doing fine with it. At least he has not complained at all. Whenever I visit, he asks me a few questions regarding any doubts he has. Otherwise, it appears to be working well. My only worry is tax filing thingy which I heard requires Internet Explorer (ActiveX?). Would find out in July if he can file his return online completely on a Linux machine.

Well, I dont see that problem. Its mainly for basic browsing.... So, should be ok.

Yup. Just configure it to auto-update and it should be perfect. Do not give admin rights to the user to make it even more secure.