Ubuntu Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 301
  • Views Views 87,188
quackquack said:
why download? apt-get update && apt-get -duy dist-upgrade doesnt work?
i am cusrious because i have never used ubuntu, never felt any need for it. i just change the /etc/apt/sources.list and i fill in details and i am done with it, unless its a fresh install. somehow i didnt like ubuntu. i am an old fashioned debootstrap fella & i like to roll my own. trivial trivial trivial.
-paul
I am not using any Linux Distro right now.

Downloaded in just 10Mins.... via torrent.

Download torrent from here.

you can byass all that, if you know how to use efi shell. ;-)
efi is a friggin mess. i did make it up from scratch, no joy. i need a 2 tb hdd, for 16+ partitions. but i got only 100 g hdd. so? i will use the efi shell. you can use the efi editor and or some external programmer. but do you risk a bricked laptop or you have the courage to see them give you a flipping bird while you whizz pass with your own firmware. they signed everything. yes everything. look carefully. before you buy a laptop.
i will play with tianocore in a while from now and will try to see if i can bypass the security in the efi. errrrrrrrm no clue i havent done it before. well. "if there is a lock there is a key" - so if there is signed binary there must be either vulnerabilities and or weakness and or keys hidden (mostly not) later, shopping time.
hth
-paul

quackquack said:
still a debian guy. :-D and will still remain a debian guy. ubuntu is extremely fast debian is so extremely slow.
they released 13.04 and i hope its LTS and i am still with
Linux mohona 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.41-2 x86_64 GNU/LinuxDebian GNU/Linux 7.0 n l
testing/sid
hehehehe! ubuntu uses the debian snapshots. and debian uses debian. ;-)
be lazy like debian, be crazy like debian -> option 1.
be lazier than debian, try netbsd, be crazier than debian, custom kernel netbsd -> option 2.
my choice? option 2.
thats it on coreboot machine i am going netbsd. eeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwww!
hth
-paul
signed - Mr Maniac
13.04 isn't LTS, 14.04 will be. Canonical (company who develops Ubuntu) is planning to change this cycle very soon.

I think Wubi is not supported in this build. Not sure if it has been permanently discontinued.

whoru007 said:
13.04 isn't LTS, 14.04 will be. Canonical (company who develops Ubuntu) is planning to change this cycle very soon.
no idea, i am still LTDF (long term debian fan). so cant comment on ubuntu. and besides when i dissect the .deb's from ubuntu i see almost everything identical.
just that with debian, i have to fight to get many things working. with ubuntu 99.99% works. good for starters but not for advanced user. they like to roll their own.
anyway time to fidgity poke with coreboot and try and see if i can boot linux kernel in the firmware itself. now i got 4 MiB and openembedded helped me roll out a custom kernel which is only 1.3 MiB, plus initramfs. so i can boot off kernel at the press of button. time to play cowaabonga with coreboot. will post results in a different post later.
-paul
Samuel said:
I had like to install it inside Windows using the Virtual CD ROM :tongue:
colinux?
-paul

quackquack said:
colinux?
-paul
Maybe, I need a stable full fledged out of the box, Windows alternative.
Ubuntu is just not my thing, no doubt it's an awesome operating system but, it's just not for me.

http://www.colinux.org/
try it. we open source will not complain if we cant get the full cake, because we know how to bake the cake itself.
this is the dirtiest trick to make linux and windows co-exist. kinda shitty old mmmmmmmm 2004 i tried for 24 hours formatted my drive installed back debian.
colinux is for those who find even ubuntu installation hard. this is the ultimate ultra linux made super super ultra uber easy. :-D
hth
-paul

chromaniac said:
I think Wubi is not supported in this build. Not sure if it has been permanently discontinued.
Most likely it will not feature in future versions also.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wubi-Needs-to-Die-a-Quick-and-Painless-Death-Says-Ubuntu-Developer-344545.shtml
“In short, Wubi needs to die a quick and painless death, so we can get on with providing positive experiences to new users of Ubuntu” ended Canonical developer, Robert Bruce Park.