Ubuntu Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 301
  • Views Views 87,289
xGdut.webp

It's out now. And Canonical has a very special message for all of us on the homepage!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate Unity as much as Metro.

it is indeed annoying to use. but since i have not used it for a longer period of time, i cannot really say if i can or cannot get used to it :\

Kubuntu to the rescue!

i would probably end up installing lubuntu on dad's netbook. ubuntu crawls on that device.

I downloaded both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu 64bit desktop ISOs, was just installing Ubuntu off USB and the installer actually shows This computer currently has Windows 8 on it. What would you like to do?
😀 I'm just going to briefly play with Ubuntu then install Kubuntu on my tablet. My desktop has Win7 and Win8 on it and I have stopped booting into Linux these days.

Got rid of Linux Mint and Installed the 64 bit version. Installation was a breeze as I had existing Linux partition, so just formatted it. No hardware driver issues, it even detected my PCI Wifi card and installed drivers automatically during installation. I must say that the UI resembles Mac OS here and there e.g. the arrow mark on the running app icon on the dock, the top bar changes to the Menu of active application etc. The Ubuntu Software Centre is really good, installed VLC Media Player and XBMC from it. Still exploring different appications. Overall impressed with it.You guys should really try this one.

The visual goodies they added could be the reason. It's performing well on my Core 2 Duo E7200 with 4GB RAM and an Nvidia Geforce 9500GT GPU.

sad thing is that unity was initially designed for netbooks. and now they want me to switch to lubuntu for netbooks.

I have been using EasyPeasy on my netbook. Works decently fast but the development is shit slow - as good as dead. Have no problems with Unity, but I prefer Fedora on my desktop.