• Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2,730

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
has anyone here tried this particular distro?i am planning to install it. no idea if it would work with my hardware. it should. all the linux distros i have tried have worked. except for beryl.

Yes i am using ubuntu for the last 2 months. Works fine. You have separate repositories for proprietary drivers and softwares if you cant do without them. Installation of softwares is easier with Synaptic .However i havnt got my tv tuner card to work with any linux distro. The day i get that to work i will stop booting into windows.

i have a question in mind.while installing on a seperate partition, what kind of a boot loader should I use. i might decide to remove ubuntu at a later stage. no idea how do i go ahead and remove the boot loader and the installed ubuntu installation.

install grub. its pretty easy to uninstall. just format the partition where you installed Ubuntu. then simply pop in the windoze CD and run fixmbr /boot or fixboot /mbr or whatever... its pretty easy...

I already have grub installed and dont want to install it again. I cant figure out how to continue the installation without installing grub

I have like 6 distros spread across 2 hard disks.Grub is configured to boot all of them properly. All the distros that i have installed have given me an option of not installing the boot loader. After installing the OS i simply edit the menu.lst to boot the OS.

Saw screenshots and features list of Ubuntu Ultimate 1.2 on the official site. Was quite impressed. Downloaded from mirror in 2 hours 18 mins. Burned to DVD. Booted from DVD. Got stuck on GNOME loading 🙁 .Any ideas? I had a similar problem with Dapper, but not with Edgy. The installation got stuck on 5th step, partitioning. Hundreds of other people had the same problem on ubuntuforums.org. The guys on Ubuntu Forums advised me to use the alternate or minimal install CD for Dapper, which worked. I think the problem is due to less Video Memory. I tried increasing it in my BIOS, but no success.Is there an alternative DVD for Ubuntu Ultimate?

when i tried installing it... it showed me the three hard disks i have on my comp. did not show the partitions. i had a 40 Gig partition totally empty. wanted to install in it. with no idea where the installer was going to create space to install U2... i discarded the idea of installing it altogether.

First thing first:- Ubuntu is the best. I've tried FC5, Xandros, Suse 10.1, Freespire. Ubuntu beats every distro hands down. 🙄 Now your point, do you have three physical hard disks? If yes, your job of having windows and ubuntu becomes way much easier and flexible. Dedicate one of them to ubuntu. (even a part of it will also do). Install ubuntu in another. when it asks where to install grub, point to this hard drive MBR. Once installed, mark ubuntu HDD as first Boot Device. This will be done in BIOS. This way MBR of XP remains in its own HDD and Ubuntu (+XP) on its own. Any time you want to say bye bye to GRUB (although you wouldnt want to) just change Boot Priority in BIOS.