Ubuntu to become a rolling release distro?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 4,617

Sai

ISP
Tata
The Register is reporting that Mark Shuttleworth has hinted that Ubuntu could be moving from its’ current six-month release schedule to something much ‘faster’.

Shuttleworth is said to have told press: -

“Today we have a six-month release cycle, in an internet-oriented world, we need to be able to release something every day. That’s an area we will put a lot of work into in the next five years. The small steps we are putting in to the Software Center today, they will go further and faster than people might have envisioned in the past.”

But, what is a Rolling Release Distro?
Rolling Release means you don’t have to upgrade or clean install everytime a new version comes out, everything is done through updates, It also reduces the need to depend on and add extra PPAs to get the latest software updates because software is also updated to the latest version along with the OS.

Some examples of rolling release distros are Gentoo, Arch, PCLinuxOS and Foresight Linux and development branches like Mandriva Cooker, openSUSE Factory, Fedora Rawhide, and Debian’s testing and unstable branches.

Pinch of salt, leap of faith
There is a case to be made for a speedier ‘update’ process and a case against. Most users love bug fixes trickling through but they also love having the latest features that their applications/utilities have to offer.

As nothing “official” has been formally announced regarding development cycles changing there’s no need to get too worried about what this could mean for your desktop just yet.

From - Ubuntu to become a rolling release distro?

That is what they should look at...Instead of releasing some half baked 6month releases...They can be a rolling distro...This would ultimately silence many of its critics...

I might switch to ubuntu if its going to be rolling release.but it cud be that Fedora wud become rolling release too if ubuntu is successful.

Rolling is fun too. For that just go ahead and try Arch - Arch Linux - you will have fun. decent net connection needed though.

I heard about it...But their Structure is a bit different...right..??I am used to .deb files and can handle the .rpm stuff...But this Arch Linux is a bit confusing...Can you give any tips or a proper link to help me out...??

Well, their wiki is really all you need 🙂
Check out the "Beginner's Guide" there, from there you move on to other wiki pages step by step... was very useful for me.

The beginners guide is easier install guide than the main install guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide

You can read this once before starting installation, during install if you dont have another machine to access this wiki page, they mention a local copy in the install OS itself.

Documentation

The official install guide is conveniently available right on the live system! To access it, change to tty2 (virtual console #2) with +F2, log in as "root" and then invoke /usr/bin/less by typing in the following at the # prompt:

# less /usr/share/aif/docs/official_installation_guide_en

less will allow you to page through the document.

Change back to tty1 with +F1 to follow the rest of the install process. (Change back to tty2 at any time if you need to reference the Official Guide as you progress through the installation process.)
Tip: Please note that the official guide only covers installation and configuration of the base system. Once that is installed, it is strongly recommended that you come back here to the wiki to find out more about post-installation considerations and other related issues.

Go ahead and enjoy!

Hush...I think this will be my New Year Project..But One thing is for sure..This seems to be more of a CUI based then the GUI..As I come from a MINT/Kubuntu Background..I guess I will need more time to adjustSo have you moved to Arch Linux..or using this as secondry OS..??

Wow...Now this should satisfy some SUSE fans...I guess that is one of the best KDE distro...Arch Linux is actually a good concept...But their so called Pac-Man system is a bit of bother...You absolutely need to be a geek to run that...As far Ubuntu...Hope they focus a lot on Kubuntu and make that a Rolling distro instead..I am still waiting for Linux Debian to be popular and waiting for their next release...spin..